Windows XP home edition network question

Thread: Windows XP home edition network question

Windows XP home edition network question

Got two computers hooked up one using winxp home edition and the other win2k. Using linksys 1 port router with a linksys switch, before when I was using winxp pro I could log onto the win2k system without entering a passwork for the win2k system, now using winxp home editon and each time I log onto the win2k system I have to enter the password. The box with the user name and password has no option for saving password. Is there anyway to fix this?

Thank you

Yes login to xp home with that user name and password that you use to access the 2k machine from the xp home machine.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I don't understand, ok I log onto the win2k machine with my winxp home edition pc but each time I reboot I have to enter the user name and password, I just need to know how I can save the user name + password so I don't have to do this everytime.

Thank you

hmm I think you mean you want your XP home to automatically log you in to both xp home and to the 2k machine?

The user name should be there in the autocomplete list, the password however, is never saved unless you do this

I should warn you that if you want to keep your data secure from others, having this set is not a good idea.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

But when I had winxp pro installed I could log onto the win2k machine without typing the user name and password each time. I remember there was a option in the login box to save the user name + password, with winxp home edition I don't see that option.

Right, this is a fundamental difference between xp home and pro. Xp home is designed to be on a peer to peer network only and not have domain joining capabilities. It is also light on file security settings.

You should set up an account on the 2k box that is the same as the one you use to get into xp home. XP home will not let you set a permanent user/pass to a network. However There is this which may get round your problem.

I made a mistake should have stayed with winxp pro but I was thinking winxp home editon would be faster since it loads up less service, but since I log onto my win2k box everyday I have to go back to winxp pro.

Thank you very much for your advice

Originally posted by 95cirruslx
    I was thinking winxp home editon would be faster since it loads up less
    While XP Pro loads more services by default, these can be configured to not load if so desired - This is an excellent site for configuring the services you need and disabling the ones you don't..