blood n Guts
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: blood n Guts

Chat Moderator Great White North's Avatar

blood n Guts

OK lets get it out!

Have you been wounded in action Working on computers?
    Igloos for sale!! Buy them today keep the cold away!

Yep,

Rather embarrassingly I forgot how to handle a pair of scissors while opening a FedEx package and gouged my arm quite nicely.

Of course, then there are the slightly less embarrassing finger biting carnivorous cases, but I guess most techs have had those

I got a pinched nerve in my neck in January from moving 19" monitors. I didn't notice how badly until I went to play hockey on the evening and really felt it while putting the pads on... I didn't play for the rest of the season

New season on Thursday though, got the Dr's clearance and everything so no amount of moaning by the Fun Prevention Officer is stopping me from playing
    Bollocks

5 years ago I was fixing a couple old computers(in the OLD HEAVY computer cases) when someone bumped into one and it started to fall well I caught it with my FINGER and OOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

I now have a deep scar on my index finger.
    "Thou shalt not kill, remember? What in the hell kind of church man are you?" - Vash the Stampede

Lost in a world of confusion, unable to freemymind
    i once sliced down BOTH sides of my middle finger trying to remove a Vesa video card, it wouldnt budge, and i was giving it some stick and it flew out and as i was pushing at it from the back of the case, my finger when straight thru the gap where the plate on the back of the card normally covers.

that was a gusher
    No girl deserves my tears, and the one who does will never make me cry.

I have post traumatic stress syndrome from presario laptops.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

My own stupidity on this one....once in my earlier years I was replacing the FAN on a PSU. While trying to seat the pin connector for the power I slipped and my thumb musta touched something feirce....

I woke up, dazed and confused. My boss was above me and I was about 5 feet from the bench.

Goes to show you...even unplugged thsoe things can give a nasty wallop...

My arm stayed numb for like 2 days after that....
    So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Just the usual case bites for me.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

yup

almost sliced my finger off from these old nasty metal cases (gateway 2000 old sucker)

Yeah, I've had the carnivorous cases like anyone else.

I also had one occasion when I was taking that horrid plastic banding off a box or something with a Stanley knife, missed the banding and caught the middle finger of my left hand. It looked like someone had tried to peel it like an apple.

Of course, at the time the place I was working at didn't have a decent first aid kit, so I had to make do with a gauze pad and some duct tape until I could get to the hostpital and have it stitched.

The upside is my finger never gets sore from playing guitar, because I have no feeling in the end of it any more.

I also had a run in with electricity, though not on a PC. I was doing the electrics for a stage show (rock gig as I recall). Anyway, I wanted to rewire a portion of the rig because the wires were frayed. I asked my buddy to kill the power, which he duly did, but when I touched the frayed live wire I got the full force of 450V through my finger. Luckily I didn't grab it: I would have been dead.

I woke up eight feet away with paramedics around me, half an hour later.

Didn't sh*t right for a week after that.
    There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity. And I am unsure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

Registered User FatalException0E's Avatar
    A coworker of mine a while back stuck his finger tip into a heavy duty fan on a slot A Athlon....nice little spray of blood around the inside of the case.
    Contents: One signature
    || |||| | |||| |||

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where
    Was carrying a comcrap 17" monitor (heavy) up some stairs on my shoulder, missed a step, monitor rocked back, I dropped it and I fell halfway down the stairs head first.

My boss, who has 10 steps behind me carrying the base managed to dodge out the way of the falling screen (and me), throwing the base unit down the stairs in the process. The base unit might have survived if the monitor hadn't landed on it.

I various bruises and a pulled muscle in my neck (couldn't lift anything heavier than a pint - but then what else do you need to lift on sick leave? with my right arm for a couple of months afterwards, and couldn't move for quite a while without pain).
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

Definately have gotten tore up on case they are hungry buggers, and while working on one of my pcs i noticed one of my cpu fans for my p2 had fallen off cuz it wasnt the right one anyhow, basically it had a really long power cable and i was trying to loop it around the motherboard power cable but thanks to my best buddy PeLiGrOsO! whom had just stolen the fan off of the power supply, i stuck my hand straight into the psu from the gapping hole on the bottom with the pc running, ouch...

but i guess it was payback for him when i zapped him working on my car from the racing msd coil...."Don't start the car!" i heard "Start the Car!" anyways knocked him on his *** and he was flopping around like a fish

In a comms rooms, had the flooring up and a bundle of stretched to the limit cabling in my hands, realised then I had no tools to cut through the ties, so this kind gent who was sat just outside was having his nightly jar of pickled sarnies, kindly let me borrow his knife.

Anyway cut a long story short, cables in one hand, knife in the other, phone in ear.

Phone starts ringing and I drops the phone, as I try to catch it, I drops the cabling, but the knife which is still in the position to cut the tie goes through the cable tie and proceeds to go through me as well. Cable falls on flooring and unplugs two routers

Result:

3 inch scar on left index finger, one blood stained comms room. 2 remote sites down!!

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    I had a friend who said he was getting checksum errors during post and the machine wasnt working right so, being the nice friend that I am i decided to help, i figured he just had some setting screwed in the bios so I powered it on and went looking, changed a few settings, set his ram and cpu back to normal speeds (900 athlon @ 10??)

I then rebooted to get the same error again, and so I decided to tap the heatsink with my hand to see if it was hot, leaving my figerprints behind! it burnt the whole fingerprint off of my left index finger. Found out that his heat sink/fan worked better if he would have plugged it in. Plugged it in and VOILA!
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Originally posted by Radical Dreamer
    I had a friend who said he was getting checksum errors during post and the machine wasnt working right so, being the nice friend that I am i decided to help, i figured he just had some setting screwed in the bios so I powered it on and went looking, changed a few settings, set his ram and cpu back to normal speeds (900 athlon @ 10??)

I then rebooted to get the same error again, and so I decided to tap the heatsink with my hand to see if it was hot, leaving my figerprints behind! it burnt the whole fingerprint off of my left index finger. Found out that his heat sink/fan worked better if he would have plugged it in. Plugged it in and VOILA!
    he's lucky the thing still ran
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello