Finding out my assigned ip address...

Thread: Finding out my assigned ip address...

Question Finding out my assigned ip address...

I use a dial in 56K internet connection that is assigned a different number by my IP each time I connect to the internet. I was wondering if there is an easy way for me to find out what number is given to me when I connect to the internet without having to install any software. I'm using 98SE and IE 6.0.

Thanks for a great site for amateurs like me!

Start/run, type in winipcfg. Click ok or hit the enter key. When the window opens, click on the more info(?) button.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

from the run line "winipcfg" w/out quotes.
    i love peta...and sars...
    and bin laden....and n. korea....and china...and p2p...spyware...

Ah-hah! Very good! Thanks for the help! I'm assuming that the top half of the report is my machine. It shows a second address if you click on the little box to the right of the number. Am I correct to assume they are both me?

Thanks in advance!

Ah-hah! Very good! Thanks for the help! I'm assuming that the top half of the report is my machine. It shows a second address if you click on the little box to the right of the number. Am I correct to assume they are both me?

Thanks in advance!

When you run winipcfg, the IP address is shown in the default view. There should be a dropdown box to let you choose which adapter you want to check on, PPP (modem), or your network card(s). The "IP Address" field a bit below that shows your IP. It also shows your hardware's MAC address, your subnet mask, and default gateway (where all traffic determined to be "non-local" is sent).

The "More Info" button will show you more network settings, like the addresses of your DHCP and WINS servers and stuff like that.

The only thing I can think of with a second address and a box is multiple DNS servers. This just means your settings specify multiple DNS servers to check, in case one goes down. Everything is labelled, so you should be able to tell us what it is...

a quick way to do it with having to dig thru ( i use this for newbies) is to go here : http://www.whatismyip.com/

it should tell you your proper IP address (as long as you're not behind some sort of proxy)
    Today, a haiku:

Google, you f**ktard
    my fingers are so weary
    of repeating crap

Don't forget the IP Chicken

ipchicken
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded