[RESOLVED] Compatability issues

Thread: [RESOLVED] Compatability issues

FooL

Resolved [RESOLVED] Compatability issues

I've just purchased a new system that has a 7200 ATA/100 drive. (20 gig). I'd like to use the hard drive from my old system in it too. But it's a 5400 ATA/66 drive.

My question is this, will it slow my new drive down if they are connected on the same cable? (Kind of like slowing down PC133 RAM if you mix it with PC100) Or, will I get the different speeds from the different drives when accessed individually.

i.e. I plan to use the older drive for MP3 and picture storage. So, should I only see the slower access time when hitting that drive?

Any help is appreciated. I have just never thought to ask this question before. Thanks!

------------------
    Unfortunately, my "Beat it to fit and paint it to match" motto doesn't work well with computers.

GJFowler

This used to be a problem with older drives & controllers which couldn't mix PIO modes, but controllers now can accommodate the different UDMA modes.

Of course your controller has to be UDMA/100, consult the manual to see if the faster drive has to be on a particular data cable connector.

You could check the drive manufacturers website to see if there's a utility to enable/disable 66/100 modes, although since you've been using a UDMA/66 drive you're probably aware of this.

------------------
    I used to be Platypus...

The platypus, proof God has a sense of humour.