cdrw won't detect blank cd-r's
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cdrw won't detect blank cd-r's

cdrw won't detect blank cd-r's

Drive: Cendyne 52x24x52x
    Driver name: asus crw-5224a

When this drive was initially installed, it automatically was assigned drivers from Asus, and it worked very well. Recently, I attempted to make a recording, and the drive wouldn't detect the blank disc. I've tried many blanks in this drive, and none will detect. I've tried the blanks on another cdrw, and they work fine. So far, I've physically uninstalled/reinstalled; ensured that ASPI is updated, flashed the drive's BIOS, and nothing seems to resolve the problem. When I flashed the BIOS with an updated version, Windows reported that the drive was ATAPI-incompatible. I had to physically uninstall/reinstall the other cd-rom/dvd-rom drives, and they reinstalled & operated fine. I've contacted both Asus and Cendyne for tech support, so I was hoping that someone here would have a suggestion or idea that I could try.

Any ideas?
    "I see your lips moving but all I hear is 169.blah.blah.blah."

I've had this with Asus (and some LG) CD-ROM drives recently! Never had an Asus CD-RW come through but the fix might be the same. It works for the LG CD-RW's

In the BIOS, if the ide detect is set to Auto then the drive is detected as ATAPI incompatible. Set the ide channel the drive is on to CD-ROM and it might cure your problem. The machine posts faster anyway if you manually set the ide channel settings!!

Good Luck

John

Now where did I leave my Lump Hammer?

"I thought I was wrong once" - "But I was wrong"

What are you using to burn?

If it's the native recording in XP - I found that to be flakey at best - there was an update for it on windows update... have you installed SP1?

If you are using nero, have you turned off XP native recording?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

What happens exactly is this: insert blank cd-r into drive, then watch drive take forever to detect blank or there's no detection at all. Before I was able to insert the blank, the light on the drive blinked for a second or two, then the light turned solid green. Now, it just blinks repeatedly.

Originally posted by NooNoo
    What are you using to burn?
    Is this a secret ?

Whatever it is, have we uninstalled /re-installed ? & we don't have multiple 'writing' s/w - they confuse each other ...

What I had : Easy CD CReator 5 Basic, Nero, Clone CD.

I've uninstalled them, and I'll try reinstalling just Nero.

O.k., I uninstalled all cd-rw programs, then reinstalled.
    Guess what? Problem remains. Now what?

You had 3 different burning programs all with their own foibles

Nero and EasyCD hate each other. Easycd screws up XP without even trying.

The nero help tool is the best place to start

Is native xp burning off?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I use Windows XP Professional, and I haven't found the native nurning feature, yet.

Thanks for the link to Nero; I'll try that. I'm truly hoping that my drive didn't go bad. I just bought the bloody thing.

When I had this problem with my CDRW it was because I was using the wrong speed disks.

My cdrw was for hi-speed, and the blanks I purchased for a lower speed speed. When I purchased high speed disks the problem corrected itself.

For example, mine is a 48-40-12. That meant that unless I used a 40 speed CDR, my blank disk wouldn't be recognized; and unless I used a 12 speed CDRW, my blank disk wouldn't recognized.

Just a suggestion,

Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

Native burning is controlled in the properties for the cdrw. Open my computer, right click the cdrw, properties, recording tab, uncheck recording. Reboot - it will not ask you to reboot, but it is necessary.

NooNoo, I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Orangeman, if that's true, then why was I able to record with any general kind of blank cd-r? I do appreciate the input, though. It was a good thought.

CDRW's are not the same as CDR

The burner knows the difference between them and burns accordingly

Originally posted by Ronin
    NooNoo, I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Orangeman, if that's true, then why was I able to record with any general kind of blank cd-r? I do appreciate the input, though. It was a good thought.
    The short to your question is that you did not try the right blanks.

Some CDRW's record only 'high speed' and others do not. The drive will say "High Speed" on the box and also tell you which disks it is compatible with. You did not specify which kind of CDRW you had in your original question - high speed or regular. For example, I repeatedly tried Memorex blanks on my CDRW and they weren't recognized. Then I switched to Phillips "High Speed" and they were.

Secondly, CDRW media, (ie blank disk) is supposed to be matched to the recording speed of the CDRW, so that a 40 speed (recording speed) CDRW is supposed to have a 40 speed CDR (or recording) disk. If it has a 36 speed or 32 speed disk it might still work but if it did you'd be very lucky.

The same holds true for rewriting media. If you used a 8 speed blank disk on a 12 speed rewriter it probably wouldn't work, although again you could get lucky and have it work.

It is therefore very possible for a medium to work in one recorder but not in the other. What would be interesting if the same blanks that DID work in your recorder before, don't work now.

If that's the case your problem has nothing to do with the blanks you are using and my theory is blown entirely. and its time to move on to someone elses theory.

Hope you get it fixed,
    Orangeman
    Last edited by Orangeman; May 12th, 2003 at 03:23 PM.
    Bouncy Bouncy

Originally posted by NooNoo
    CDRW's are not the same as CDR

The burner knows the difference between them and burns accordingly
    ...& not only knows the difference between CDRW & CDR, it also ought to pick up speed ratings from disk 'types' , though this depends on the writing software picking it up & doing something about it ! My burner will use any old blanks, high speed or otherwise .... Nero cunningly pops up & adjusts my burn speed as appropriate....

None of this though tells us why it won't read them at all !!!

Since .....
    I've tried the blanks on another cdrw, and they work fine
    , that sounds like another machine to me.....

Can we try the 'errant' unit, 'elsewhere' then we can at least eliminate software confus-ed-ness ....