Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Ultra motherboard issues

Thread: Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Ultra motherboard issues

Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Ultra motherboard issues

I am having problems with my system running the AMD 2100 XP, XP Pro, and a Gigabyte GA 7vaxp ultra and a Albatron GeForce 4 ti. When I reboot my computer, the boot process takes lot longer than from a cold startup. Then my Medal of Honor has a difficult time loading, crashing even after installing patches and removing antivirus software. what could be causing this? in addition, what does clearing the DMI and PnP data pools do? Should I do it? And if need be, what is a good computer shop to have a look at this in South Jersey, CHerry Hill area?

I built it myself, but am having issues.

Has this problem occured from since you first got the mobo, or did you recently install something that may have started the issue? If so what?

What video card do you have and what drivers are you using for it?

Do you have your VIA 4 in 1s installed?

I have the Albatron GeForce4 Ti4280. And no at first the system ran fine so it seemed. Then one day, after installing Alcohol 120%, the computer went a little wacky. I reinstalled the Operating system, Win XP Pro, and all the new drivers for the video card, the 4 in 1 ect and all the windows updates. On a cold boot, the system seems to work fine, but if I restart it, funny charcters are displayed on the first screen when the video bios version is displayed. Also,my MOHAA, seems tro have a hard time loading w/ 256mb ram even w/ the recent patch.

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar
    What do you mean by "wacky?"

Funny characters on the BIOS screen?

Sounds like something low level.
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Cold boot, warm boot .... temps ok ? If you mean on/off as opposed to reset regardless of usage then look any way

what does clearing the DMI and PnP data pools do? Should I do it
    The DMI pool holds ennumerated values based on all your peripheral devices' requests for irqs, memory & dma requirements, it is added to every time you re-boot with new devices, clearing it has the effect of making the pc have a 'second opinion' of those allocations .... certain devices prefer certain allocations but certain ones need particalar stuff, compromises are required ... if you know everthing, first, you are more likely to get it right...
    so clearing NVRAM (DMI) is good.Definately no harm , be 'liberal' ....

Pnp data pool is another thing used in 9x, sometimes called MS specification tables, same thing 9x style, or do we mean pnp aware ?

BUT this is all to do with device allocations, the thing that controls all this is ACPI, this tells the machine how to 'share', it makes everything behave differently....

ACPI on or off ?

Definately all 'good to go' before ? & exactly same video driver & 4-in-1, on a 'clean' 'patched' install.... Hardware all originally found no problems...?

Any other pci devices other than described? S/c ?....

By wacky, been the British pounds symbol will be displayed on the fist screen when I boot, the one that tells be the Video bios driver. Also does anyone know a good place to ahve my computer checked in Southern New Jersey, by Cherry Hill?

As far as cold boot warm boot. I mean a cold boot is after I let it sit for a minute or two as opposed to a warm boot when I either use the reste button or use the restart command in windows

Originally posted by heyman412
    ....As far as cold boot warm boot. I mean a cold boot is after I let it sit for a minute or two as opposed to a warm boot when I either use the reste button or use the restart command in windows
    'Cold boot' & 'warm boot' have specific computer meanings - 'cold' means via power switch, 'warm' means programatically so either by 'reset' (stricly this is programatically... beleive me!) or more obviously windows 're-tard' .... NOT to do with physically hot or not!

.... so you need to look at temperatures .... somethig sounds like its too hot! .... Hence 'wacky' chars, reboot problems etc.....

There ought to be an entry in bios which says (for your cpu, but other stuff can overheat too -video especially) what your system temperature is.

I take it - 'built it myself" & "anyone know a good place to have my computer checked" - indicate a growing self doubt ! .... have no fear we all started this way... you are in the right place to ask .... unfortunately we can't look !, but I'm in the uk so I can't make any recommendations ... be brave!

Can you post back your cpu temp from 'cold cold' & after 'sustained' usage ?

Can someone post a software tempurature monitor for this board please !! Giga-bytes 'new' website defeated me

Ok, I will post my CPU temp a little later after it runs for a while but my startup overall system temp is 28 degrees celcius. The video card has its own fan, but there are other heat sinks(they are rather small) that seem to be very warm to touch. But I inverted the cookie fans to blow air into the case and that has seemed to stablize the system temp around 33-35 degrees. For these readings I am using MBM 5, but I don't have a video card monitor. Tahnks for all your help and I will post a cpu temp a little later.

My CPU temp is around 38 degrees Celcius. Is that good or bad? What is normal for an AMD 2100+?

I have 256 ram.

nice and cool that is... good temps.

I would look at swapping out the video card. And checking that you have the motherboard drivers loaded correctly.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

What is the best way to reload the mobo drivers to make sure they installed correctly and could you give me a reliable link too. Should I reinstall them ontop of the current ones?

Also, I don't have another video card so I can't swap it out.

Methinks !
    system temp around 33-35 degrees
    Is still hot ! , though cpu temp is good...

Perhaps this is pushing up the Video cards temp ?? Or the chipset on the board is overheating?

My current CPU temp is 49 (overclocked though ... so make allowance) but my system temp is only 22 ....

Get those fans blowing on any passive coolers (the small 'hot' heat sinks) & leave the case sides off for a bit ... see if that 'improves' matters ...