XP Pro takes minutes to shutdown/restart
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: XP Pro takes minutes to shutdown/restart

XP Pro takes minutes to shutdown/restart

I'm not at home right now so I can't check the Event Viewer but last night I rebooted for the first time in ages and it took over two minutes to shutdown when it used to take a few seconds. And the same with restarting.

When I attempt to restart/shutdown the computer starts doing it's thing for a few seconds then stops and does nothing for a minute or two then all of a sudden everything closes and the computer reboots/shuts down.

Any one experience this? Know of a fix if so?
    Shoot 'em up! Shoot 'em up! Pow! Pow!

Well the event viewer is going to be the key, but I would look at your nic if you have one, sound card and the pagefile.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

So what should I look for?

NIC and Sound card seem to be working fine. And what should I look for with the pagefile?

But I'll post anything weird in Event Viewer as soon as I get home.

This may be what she means:
    Windows 2000 Shuts Down Slowly with "Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile When System Shuts Down" Setting
    The setting is off by default, but if you turned it on, you will experience the issue. Or, she may be talking about deleting the pagefile, and letting windows recreate it...

all of the above and the fact that the pagefile can sometimes get its knickers in a twist causing all kinds of weirdness.

With the nic it would be driver corruption, same for the sound card... one day they suddenly decide they hate sharing irqs.

Sometimes I think they just get jealous and want to be reinstalled to prove you are still there .....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by NooNoo
    all of the above and the fact that the pagefile can sometimes get its knickers in a twist causing all kinds of weirdness.
    The problem there is that you have an English PC! You need to get one with pants!

Originally posted by Ya_know
    The problem there is that you have an English PC! You need to get one with pants!
    We have those too, Packard Bell, Tiny, Time, Compaq to name a few...

All right, here's what I found in the Event Viewer:

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Userenv
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1524
    Date: 5/14/2003
    Time: 6:30:57 PM
    User: DOMAIN\username
    Computer: COMPUTER NAME
    Description:
    Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

---

Event ID: 1517
    Time: 6:30:58 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: COMPUTERNAME
    Description:
    Windows saved user DOMAIN\username registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

---

Event Type: Error
    Event ID: 1054
    Time: 6:31:44 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Description:
    Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

---

Event Source: W32Time
    Event ID: 14
    Time: 6:31:50 PM
    User: N/A
    Description:
    The time provider NtpClient was unable to find a domain controller to use as a time source. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes.

---

Event ID: 29
    Time: 6:31:50 PM
    Description:
    The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 14 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

---

Event ID: 14
    Time: 6:31:51 PM
    Description:
    The time provider NtpClient was unable to find a domain controller to use as a time source. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes.

Event ID: 29
    Time: 6:31:51 PM
    Description:
    The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 14 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

I see a connection here. It seems the problem lies with the domain controller but this PC is the only one having this problem. I dunno....any help would be appreciated.

You have zone alarm?

Is the fax service starting?

PCtel service?

Logitech Itouch software?

All of these have been cited as fixes and if you have changed any group policy security settings.

It might be as simple as your profile has corrupted and needs a new one creating and the old deleting.

I have Logitech iTouch.

And this happens on all the profiles so I doubt it's a profile issue.

I'll uninstall iTouch and see if that makes a difference.

The time error "W32Time", gets me quite often, seems to stem from when I have no interenet connection at some point ( I have cable so it should always be there?), I've never found an absolute fix ....

You might like to look here for 1054

& here for 1524

& here s somebody with the same symptomology

You make no mention of how this particular 'beast' is connected to the outside world or any other machine for that matter, so if it ain't logitech's fault, then look at that lot...

I am pretty much betting on itouch

I have the cordless desktop - the software toasts all installs at some point - don't install it!

The link you gave me for 1054 says that it might be an issue with Prefered DNS Server but if that were the case, would I be able to surf the web? My server is setup as Primary DNS Server so I don't see how it could be a DNS issue.

I think to fully sort the dns issue you need to find 'advanced tcp/ip settings' & find the bit which says 'resolution of unqualified names' ... tick the box 'append primary and connection specific dns suffixes' also 'append parent suffixes of the primary dns suffix' ... maybe !

They all look to be some form of 'failing to resolve' error .... it seemed appropriate that the 'error conditions' I googled for you all pointed at the same idea .... The time error is definately a connectivity issue, I'm at home using cable, so I don't even know what my dns server is, but I've had all those at some point or other....

If they don't help ... well they don't help !

Woo Hoo!!

As always, NooNoo was correct as it was the iTouch "crapware" causing the hang up!

Thanks NooNoo!!