General Exchange question

Thread: General Exchange question

General Exchange question

I currently have an Exchange 5.5 server. I have been noticing the users with the larger mailboxes have been complaining about the time it takes to access older messages.

Any suggestions on what the mailbox limitations should be.

We have 50 users... Of course, no one cleans out their mailboxes...
    Everywhere you go, there you are...

You might want to check out M$KB: Accessing Information Store Folders May Become Slow. It tells you how to perform a couple of tests to see it this applies to you.

Hope this helps out.

Exchange

Thanks for the reply. I will try this when I get the opportunity.

Some users are having problems with unread email in their inbox, not sure this article addresses that particulary, but I will give it a shot!

Jetpack database clean up tool. Exchange is a HUGE database.
    it has a tool to "defrag" it. use it.

that will incress the speed usually by 50-75% alone!!!

more RAM!!! exchange is a memory hog!!

and on the install cd run the drive configuration optimizeation wizard. it will move your information storte and other file to the best drives / partitions.
    You know you want a crabby patty!!

Make sure they have journal disabled, make sure their deleted items folder is emptying itself when you exit. Make sure they clean up their sent items folders once in a while.

Teach them to use personal folders stored on their local hard drives for non critical things that dont need to be backed up (all those mpeg and avi and jpeg and gif files they pass back and forth in jokes).

Teach them to make and use subfolders to organize their mailboxes so they don't have to load headers for each and every email all the time.

We used to use a 10mb limit but I think it went up to 20mb recently.
    If it's true that wherever you go, there you are: how come so many people look lost?

Originally posted by cisco2
    Make sure they have journal disabled, make sure their deleted items folder is emptying itself when you exit. Make sure they clean up their sent items folders once in a while.

Teach them to use personal folders stored on their local hard drives for non critical things that dont need to be backed up (all those mpeg and avi and jpeg and gif files they pass back and forth in jokes).

Teach them to make and use subfolders to organize their mailboxes so they don't have to load headers for each and every email all the time.

We used to use a 10mb limit but I think it went up to 20mb recently.
    Good idea.

We have 50mg limit for mailboxes and setup each client with 2 .pst's

one on thier HomeDrive (backed up nightly) and one on thier workstation. (junk mail)

this cut our exchange backup times in 1/2 (we backup to the message level, not just the information store or mailbox) and allowed the clients to run outlook MUCH faster. Also reduced memory requirements on the server and we no longer were looking at having to incress the HD space. (saved us about $5000 on parts for upgrades)
    You know you want a crabby patty!!

Exchange

Thanks for all the replies. I will probably work on it this weekend... I will let you know how it goes.