front page

Thread: front page

front page

Hello people.. its about time for me to ask questions, instead of answearing..
    I just started playing with front page on office xp pro.
    i am trying to run a site from my computer and so far i is doing ok..
    i have a few programs in my downloads area, but i would like to create a link from the "downloads page" to another downloads page, i want to set it with permissions or password protected, i want it to ask for a password when you click on the program you want to download or a password when you enter the downloads page.. how can i do that? or what do you recommend ? i want to stay away from FTP, i want to have it strictly secure, so people dont see what i have for downloads, unless you are given a password..
    any help is appreciated
    Assumption is the mother of all fucl< ups

no body to answer my question ?

This can be done very easily with FP. Read the help on how to set it up using both of your ideas. BUT to make this work the computer you are running the site from must support frontpage extensions. If it does not or you are unable to then you need to look into using .htaccess and .htpasswd (for linux based systems). For windows based systems I think in the IIS applet you can select the folder you want to protect and then you can setup different users that are allowed to use the rescource. Cheers.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

thank you.. i will look into that..