XP upgrade, clean install...with a twist

Thread: XP upgrade, clean install...with a twist

Threaded View

Originally posted by NooNoo
    Tangleweb I know exactly what he means... I have here a win95 disk that I rolled a chair over... it cracked, I burned a copy (yes it did burn) and used it to install and .....
    I was not clear that he meant a burned disc; I personally only use burned discs as they are functionally identical to the original, especially if made using "disc at once" burning a sector-by-sector duplicate of the original. The word "formatting" threw me. I thought he meant a disk formatted by the OS in question. If it's a burned CD it works exactly the same as the original for purposes of this exercise. The one limitation being if it's a CD-ROM that won't read burned CDs.

By the way; Microsoft does not care about media. The CD itself is of no importance to them. they care about the license. I buy the license separately (roughly $65 for XP Home) & use my own media to install the OS, and then enter the product key that came with the license & affix the hologram COA (Certificate Of Authenticity to the PC. This is perfectly legal & complies with Microsoft's EULA.
    Last edited by TangleWeb; May 16th, 2003 at 02:48 PM.