XP upgrade, clean install...with a twist
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: XP upgrade, clean install...with a twist

XP upgrade, clean install...with a twist

I searched before posting, but couldnt find an answer, so hopefully all of you wonderful people at windrivers can help. I have a friend who just got the upgrade version of XP. He was going to do an upgrade from ME, but i encouraged him to do a clean install instead.

From what i have read, you can format the drive and do a clean install of XP with an upgrade CD, you just have to insert your old windows disk for verificatin, when it prompts you. the problem is, he doesnt have a full version windows CD. THis is one of those OEM 95 install, upgraded to 98, upgraded to ME. My question is this: is a win ME upgrade disk a qualifying product for upgrade to XP?

Can he run XP setup from his XP upgrade disk, and insert his ME upgrade disk when it prompts, and do a good clean install XP that way?
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

SHould be able to

ME upgrades accepted 98 upgrade discs.....

It would just ask for both numbers during the install....

Dont quote me on it though...never tried it yet....
    So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

The qualifying operating systems are:
    Windows 2000 Professional
    Windows NTŪ Workstation 4.0 or 3.51
    Windows 98, Windows 95, Windows Millennium Edition, and Windows XP Home Edition
    Windows 3.x, Windows for Workgroups 3.x
    MS-DOS
    OS/2
    Macintosh
    UNIX: SCO (Xenix, UnixWare), Sun (Solaris/SPARC, SunOS), Hewlett-Packard (HP-UX), IBM (AIX), Digital (Ultrix, OSF/1, Digital UNIX), SGI (IRIX), or IBM 4680/90

So worst case he gets to put in his 95 oem disk!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

.... but the qualifying medium is different ! Any old formatted (by windoze) medium usually convinces it.... so you don't need the original cd's just something formatted ....

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - where did you get that list Noo ? .... how the hell is Unix(or any of those 'non' windoze operating systems) a qualifying upgrade ?

here
    but thats for volume licencing... guess it helps if you read the pdf properly...

here is the ms qualifying list for normal users There is absolutely no mention of whether the qualifying software has to be a full version or not.

Interesting that you can only upgrade from 2k pro if you are going to xp pro....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

There is absolutely no mention of whether the qualifying software has to be a full version or not.
    Being a 'young pro' like yourself Noo, I can confirm what I said above, its the medium it sees, that 'fools' it, any correctly formatted medium will do the job .... so whether the version is 'full' or not it doesn't matter ... it doesn't format differently because its a 'full' version....

Interesting that you can only upgrade from 2k pro if you are going to xp pro....
    What else are you going to upgrade to ? .... ... XP home I suppose ....

Now that list you sent to me isn't making any sense at all ... I'm sure I've sucessfully 'upgraded' 95 to xp pro, but according to that list I shouldn't have been able .... 98, 98se,ME, nt 4 and w2k as well as home are the only things good....

Either you need more coffee, or I do or MS does .... !

Can anyone fathom this for me ... licensing is not my favourite subject ... too much confus-ed-ness even for me !

Originally posted by NooNoo
    here
    but thats for volume licencing... guess it helps if you read the pdf properly...

here is the ms qualifying list for normal users There is absolutely no mention of whether the qualifying software has to be a full version or not.

I'm glad you clarified that! XP Home upgrade only works as an "In Place" upgrade for 98 & ME. That is the upgrade most people have.

I'm not sure what confus-ed means by
    its the medium it sees, that 'fools' it, any correctly formatted medium will do the job .... so whether the version is 'full' or not it doesn't matter ... it doesn't format differently because its a 'full' version
    Formatted media has nothing to do with providing proof of Eligibility; it must be the installation media to qualify. this means an installation CD. I floppy disk formatted under a qualifying version of Windows will NOT do the trick.

On the other hand, an installation CD for the upgrade version of Windows 98 DOES work as a qualifying product. I have done that previously.

Originally posted by delmer_1
    Can he run XP setup from his XP upgrade disk, and insert his ME upgrade disk when it prompts, and do a good clean install XP that way?
    To answer your specific question; yes he can
    Last edited by TangleWeb; May 16th, 2003 at 02:17 PM.

Originally posted by TangleWeb
    I'm glad you clarified that! XP Home upgrade only works as an "In Place" upgrade for 98 & ME. That is the upgrade most people have.

I'm not sure what confus-ed means by Formatted media has nothing to do with providing proof of Eligibility; it must be the installation media to qualify. this means an installation CD. I floppy disk formatted under a qualifying version of Windows will NOT do the trick.

Tangleweb I know exactly what he means... I have here a win95 disk that I rolled a chair over... it cracked, I burned a copy (yes it did burn) and used it to install and .....

Tangleweb I know exactly what he means... I have here a win95 disk that I rolled a chair over... it cracked, I burned a copy (yes it did burn) and used it to install and .....
    yeah it can't cant yet the legitimacy of the qualifying product. so original or backup makes no difference.. . . . but to reiterate tanglewoods point it must be installation CD.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

I was not clear that he meant a burned disc; I personally only use burned discs as they are functionally identical to the original, especially if made using "disc at once" burning a sector-by-sector duplicate of the original. The word "formatting" threw me. I thought he meant a disk formatted by the OS in question. If it's a burned CD it works exactly the same as the original for purposes of this exercise. The one limitation being if it's a CD-ROM that won't read burned CDs.

By the way; Microsoft does not care about media. The CD itself is of no importance to them. they care about the license. I buy the license separately (roughly $65 for XP Home) & use my own media to install the OS, and then enter the product key that came with the license & affix the hologram COA (Certificate Of Authenticity to the PC. This is perfectly legal & complies with Microsoft's EULA.
    Last edited by TangleWeb; May 16th, 2003 at 02:48 PM.

Sorry guys I meant any old windoze cd (however obtained ! ) but I also meant how come a 95 cd works? according to the list it shouldn't, but look at Noo's post about a '95' cd, then look at the list .... I see no 95 ! , you have to digest the whole post ....

I probably didn't make it clear.... Guilty as charged then ... !

/me bangs head on keyboard, I didn't mean I used the 95 cd as qualifying software for an XP upgrade, I did however use it for a 98se upgrade....

/me bangs head on keyboard, I didn't mean I used the 95 cd as qualifying software for an XP upgrade, I did however use it for a 98se upgrade....

... I figured that is what you meant

he-he-he ...I think I have sucessfully failed to communicate with absolutely every one today ....

What Noo said (until I knew different) seemed to confirm my thoughts that I'd updated from 95 to xp, maybe I cheated ? I don't remember ?! Arrrgh! , but since I wrote it so badly, I confus-ed everyone !

So is the list right & 95 won't work or am I my usual self, & I 'bodged it'- there may well be more suitable phrase , but I have an entry in my diary with a big tick saying done paid and upgrade 95 to xp home -software there.... as always !!!

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    I buy the license separately (roughly $65 for XP Home) & use my own media to install the OS, and then enter the product key that came with the license & affix the hologram COA (Certificate Of Authenticity to the PC. This is perfectly legal & complies with Microsoft's EULA.
    I just got an R-U-Legit mailing saying it is not legal to just purchase the COA stickers. They successfuly prosecuted and the court ruled that if you bought just the COA there is a presumption that you knew it might not be legal.