XP upgrade, clean install...with a twist - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: XP upgrade, clean install...with a twist

Originally posted by techs
    I buy the license separately (roughly $65 for XP Home) & use my own media to install the OS, and then enter the product key that came with the license & affix the hologram COA (Certificate Of Authenticity to the PC. This is perfectly legal & complies with Microsoft's EULA.
    I just got an R-U-Legit mailing saying it is not legal to just purchase the COA stickers. They successfuly prosecuted and the court ruled that if you bought just the COA there is a presumption that you knew it might not be legal.
    I am very interested in this. If you don't mind, could you forward that e-mail to me? My address is in my Profile.

I don't see how that is any different than businesses that use VLP (Volume Licensing). Microsoft cares about licenses, not media. I know this to be a fact. If the license & corresponding COA is legit, then I don't see the problem. Is it possible that this case applied to counterfeit COAs?

This is where I have purchased XP Home & Pro licenses with hologram COA, but no media.

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    I pm'ed you.

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    btw from the Microsoft Partners website. HERE’S WHAT TO LOOK FOR.
    Before ever taking ownership of new PCs, ask your dealer directly, “Do these computers contain legally installed and licensed Microsoft® software?” Then make sure the dealer proves it by providing you with:

· The original CDs for each and every copy of the software program.
    · Certificates of Authenticity for each and every copy of the software.