AOL 7 not connecting to password-protected site

Thread: AOL 7 not connecting to password-protected site

AOL 7 not connecting to password-protected site

I have a client who uses AOL 7.0. Computer specs: XP2000, 256 Mb Ram, 40 GB, Win98se.

She designs web pages and helps with the design of an online newspaper. The editors of the site are given a special URL and passwords to get to the edit portion of the newspaper.

If she goes to the URL in AOL, the dialog box pops up with "Enter Name, Enter Domain, Enter Password". She enters the information. When she clicks ok, AOL brings up a page saying that her password is incorrect.

If she goes to the URL in IE6.0, the dialog box pops up with "Enter Name, Enter Domain, Enter Password". She enters the information. When she clicks ok, IE takes her straight to the editting page.

Neither IE or AOL is set to cache passwords, and she knows her password by heart. The login information has been confirmed by the owner of the site. The problem is that the password does not work in AOL, but works in IE.

I have looked in the AOL preferences, there is nothing that suggests it would solve the problem. She can use AOL fine (browsing, checking mail, IM, etc) - except that she can not directly edit the newspaper without loading up IE and editing through IE.

Any suggestions?

I would do this.

First I would make sure AOL was NOT set as her default browser. You do this by going to Start>Settingss>Control Panel>Internet Options>Programs> and then make sure "Set Internet Explorer as your default browser.

Then I would go back into Start>Settings>Control Panel> Internet Options> Advanced and then the sixth line down from the Browsing heading says "Enable folder view of FTP sites"

See if that works. If not I would contact AOL help at this link:

aol://4344:2452.ABwrite.26150839.560704739

Good Luck,
    Orangeman
    Last edited by Orangeman; July 17th, 2003 at 10:29 PM.
    Bouncy Bouncy

Of course, most everybody around here will tell you to ditch AOhell. But we must abide by the customer's wishes.

I always tell my customers that once they log onto AOL and check their email, minimize that sucker and open up IE. As stated above, check to make sure it is selected as the Default Browser.

If you want to enable Saving Passwords in IE, go to Tools/Internet Options. Click on the Content tab and then AutoComplete...select which options you wish.

Good Luck!

I find it funny that people pay for AOL with their free online support, yet never use the online support....

I am not a fan of AOL, but it does have some advantages - the main one being that once you have an aol account you can connect from any phone line anywhere in the world to the local aol - that for a traveller is immensely useful.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by NooNoo
    ......the main one being that once you have an aol account you can connect from any phone line anywhere in the world to the local aol - that for a traveller is immensely useful.
    You mean that most ISP's won't let you sign on as a guest? ....that once you have an account you have to be at the same computer or on the same phone line that your computer uses, in order to sign on to your account?

I didn't know that.....
    Bouncy Bouncy

Originally posted by Orangeman
    You mean that most ISP's won't let you sign on as a guest? ....that once you have an account you have to be at the same computer or on the same phone line that your computer uses, in order to sign on to your account?

I didn't know that.....
    If you have dsl or cable, that's a given...

In the UK there are a couple of options.... pay as you go, free access, but you pay for the phone call which can be up to 4pence a minute (6cents) Yes a local phone call... or a monthly plan. Isp's differ, but for instance Freeserve will charge you by the minute if you use your login from another phone line.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

If the web site is hosted on IIS, the problem may be that windows NT challenge repsonse is enabled, and not basic authentication. Windows NT challenge response requires that an encrypted usename/password be sent. The AOL browser sends the password in clear text, therefore is always rejected even though the information is entered correctly. IE supports Windows NT challenge response and sends an encrypted username/password. Basic Authentication needs to be enabled for the web site so it will accept the clear text usename password. This may not be possible though since the site is owned by someone else. At least you can give your client an explanation of why it won't work.

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar
    Ah! But what is the fundamental difference between AOL using IE and loading IE after you've connected to AOL?

Is it possible that when you launch AOL's "browser" everything is going through a proxy (or a different proxy) than if you launched IE independently?

Another thing: than seen two installations of IE on some systems where AOL was involved.
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Hi there,

I suggest to suggest your client to switch to another ISP. AOL sucks.

Jules...
    Otaku Anime Network
    http://www.otakuanime.com/

Guardian Of The Sailor Scouts Universe
    http://www.guardiansenshi.net/

The Sailor Scouts Gallery
    http://www.kawaiisenshi.com/

Originally posted by The Computer Valet
    Is it possible that when you launch AOL's "browser" everything is going through a proxy (or a different proxy) than if you launched IE independently?
    I agree, the AOL browser utilises a proxy server. When the login process is occurring, its likely that the proxy address is being picked up instead of the users' actual IP address. This can lead to authentication being refused.

Try comparing the IP Address and Host Name in both the AOL browser and standalone (IE) browser at somewhere like here (click 'Get Started'). Are they identical?