Migrating Groupwise to Exchange....

Thread: Migrating Groupwise to Exchange....

Talking Migrating Groupwise to Exchange....

**Moderator - may be in the wrong section , please repost if this is the case and I apologise in advance**

G'day all

Working for a support company that has been given the task of migrating Novell over to Microsoft/Citrix for a company split over 3 sites in a merged tree environment.

Just wondering if anyone has done this before, if so what problems did you come up against in the Groupwise to Exchange migration. Plan is at the moment to do each one of the 3 offices in turn with the smallest office being the pilot.

Looking at the documentation on Novell/Microsoft sites it all looks pretty straightforward, but I find the real answers come from the people at the pointy end of the stick!!

John

I have not done this, but my advice to you is:

1. Reserve a whole weekend to perform this task (Friday 5pm to Monday 8am) This gives you enough time to recover if a disaster occurs.
    2. Make backups before you begin.
    3. Have a laptop handy so you can connect to the internet if the server won't boot/work properly, and you can access the Novell and MS Knowledgebases.

Hi MacGyver

I was planning more of a 5 day weekend......

Thankfully the first office we're going to do only has 20 users so it won't take long to put back if it goes pear-shaped.

Its interesting reading on the Microsoft site about it though, usual style - click here, select this and hey presto! you're done, then you find the 100 support articles about things which go wrong, majority of them all Novell's fault. Odd that.....

Novell didn't write their software to ease migration to Microsoft Exchange, so of course it's Novell's fault.

However, Novell's knowledgebase is 1000 times better than MS's, so Novell should be flattered that MS is referring people to it!

All done and dusted!!

Couldn't have kept my sanity and hair without the help and support of:

http://www.wingra.com

they have a tool which does everything for you, does all the address books, archives etc.

Highly recommend chatting to them if you have to do a migration.

JT