Best method to install cdrom on second ide?

Thread: Best method to install cdrom on second ide?

In one of the really, really Blue states.

Question Best method to install cdrom on second ide?

Master or slave? assuming hard drive on primary, and no other ide devices.

[This message has been edited by techs (edited September 29, 2000).]
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

Either way will work, however, I tend to always use the master first and leave the slave empty.

Pogi

I read somewhere that a CD-ROM on the secondary should be set to slave, but I can't remember why. I'll try to find the article and post a link to it.

Pogi, I think (but not sure) that what your refering to is when you place a CDRW and CD on the secondary make the CDRW drive master and the CD drive a slave.

I also seem to remember some reason for making it a slave, but can't remember why.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin

Carrion

I've heard recommendations for setting a lone CD-Drive either way. In my experience, there is no difference in functionality or performance between either setting so I would say just set it however you want. It should work fine.

i believe the reason that they (it is a conspiracy) recommend you hook up a cdr-or a cdrw as slave on the secondary channel when hooked up to a cdrom drive as slave because the mode of the cdrom will always be faster than the cdr or cdrw. if you hook up the cdrw as master, then you will most probably not get the faster cd rom transfer rate. Go figure.

------------------
    hey its me again!
    hey its me again!

Carrion

I have to agree with ledrichard. In theory that would help protect against things like buffer overruns when copy CD to CD. If you're just going to put a CD-ROM on the second channel, install it as master or slave. It really doesn't matter which.

SLASH

Cd's when they first came out were anything but fast or STANDARD! They were an add-on and the manufacturer suggested placing them on the secondary slave if there was a secondary? At the time if a 2nd hard drive was to be added to a system it was placed on the primary as a slave or possibly as the secondary master. I think it all had to do with transfer rates and the CD was a slug (and still is) compared to a hard drive. Can you say slug?

CD's, it seems, are always passed down the line in order of transfer rates. In todays manufactured systems you have the primary drive (C as primary master, LS 120, or zip, or 2nd HD as primary slave, CD or DVD as secondary master and the CD/RW as secondary slave. You would never see a CD,DVD,or CD/rw as a slave on the primary! It doesn't happen! Slower drives are always on the secondary.

Prebuilt sytems today will have the HD on the primary master and the CD or DVD on the secondary master (or 0 drive for cable select) now! The CD-RW will always be the secondary slave (drive 1 for CS) unless there is no CD or DVD in which case it WILL BE the secondary master! Yea, sytems do come with CD-RW's without a CD or DVD - don't ask me why?

Go figure? I have repaired over 4,000 computers both in and out of warranty for Compaq, HP, Sony, Toshiba, Fujitsu, Packard Bell (out of business), IBM, AST (gone) etc.. over the past 3 years. I'm just calling it the way it comes from the manuacturers now - - as compared to then!

You tell me - - CD's master or slave, and why always on the secondary?

Pogi

On page 318 of the "PC Repair & Upgrade Bible" by Barry Press (1998, IDG Books), he says:

"The other problem with adding CD-ROMS and tapes is that the IDE interface allows only one device to be active at a time on a port, and all devices on the port usually have to run at the speed of the slowest one. This means that if you hook a CD-ROM onto the primary IDE port with your disk drive, the disk can't read or write while the CD-ROM is reading. Also, if the the CD-ROM can't transfer data as fast as the disk, the disk will probably have to run at the slower speed. (Some BIOSs can split the master and slave PIO or DMA modes, and some can't.) This isn't a problem the ATAPI designers could solve - you have to work around it. When you place a CD-ROM or tape drive on an IDE interface, your best bet is to use the secondary port, keeping the disk drives themselves on the primary port. This ensures that the CD-ROM or tape drive can't interfere with the operation of the disk drives, and that the disk drives run at the fastest possible speed."

I was wondering in a system with the primary master(hard drive) and a secondary slave(cdrom)if the primary ide has any precendence over the secondary ide? or would it have precence over the secondary ide only if the scondary ide only contained a slave? this is the only reason i routinely connect the cdrom as a secondary slave.

Originally posted by Pogi:
    On page 318 of the "PC Repair & Upgrade Bible" by Barry Press (1998, IDG Books), he says:

"The other problem with adding CD-ROMS and tapes is that the IDE interface allows only one device to be active at a time on a port, and all devices on the port usually have to run at the speed of the slowest one. This means that if you hook a CD-ROM onto the primary IDE port with your disk drive, the disk can't read or write while the CD-ROM is reading. Also, if the the CD-ROM can't transfer data as fast as the disk, the disk will probably have to run at the slower speed. (Some BIOSs can split the master and slave PIO or DMA modes, and some can't.) This isn't a problem the ATAPI designers could solve - you have to work around it. When you place a CD-ROM or tape drive on an IDE interface, your best bet is to use the secondary port, keeping the disk drives themselves on the primary port. This ensures that the CD-ROM or tape drive can't interfere with the operation of the disk drives, and that the disk drives run at the fastest possible speed."
    for some reason i think that this is reproduction and distribution by electronic means.

anyways... some newer systems are shipping with 4 ide channels, be they bx boards w/ ata66 or 100 standard or raid, or via with ata 100 raid. so you can hook up a hard disk to ata 100 channel 1, another hard disk or cd to channel 2, cd rw to chipset's ide channel 1, dvd to chipset's channel 2, i think you get the idea.

------------------
    I was going to be a procrastinator, I just never got around to it.
    So, so busy lately. Oh, where do I start?

pga

Systems with ATA/66 or 100 controllers are great.

for example:
    I have my main drive on ATA/66 #1 as a master

I have a second drive on ATA/66 #2 as a master

I have my CD Burner on the primary IDE as a master

I have my CD-ROM on the secondary IDE as a Master

Each of the drives are on their own

(still room for 4 more, but who needs 8 drives anyhow)