Cabling Tools

Thread: Cabling Tools

Cabling Tools

I am looking to purchase some cabling testing equipment.

The gool is to be able and run about 300 lines, terminate them and then label. I want to be able to test the cables also.

I haven't used many testers other than Fluke, which I had available while working for a much larger company. I have a budget of about $500.00.

Thanks!
    Everywhere you go, there you are...

A good little inexpensive cable tester for cat5 is the Ideal "LinkMaster". Costs around $60.00 Good luck with your budget.
    The Moral Majority is neither.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

I bought a nice little cable tester from cyberguys (www.cyberguys.com) that works perfectly for me. It is designed for cat5 and 6, but has adapters for testing bnc and rj-11 as well and comes with 1 remote. They also have a few other great testers. Here are some links to the testers:

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/s...sp?T1=115+3176

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/s...sp?T1=115+3107

If you want to see all lantesters, go to cyberguys.com and type in "lantest" under search bar and it will display all.

Hope this helps.

All I have to say is that whatever 'tester' you do buy make sure it comes in two parts, base & remote ... many cheapo testers are one part, which is fine & dandy when you have both ends of the cable in one place ... no bloomin' good at all when the other end is 20m away through walls.....

Both those links if you can buy them where you are look good to me....

You still want to get some crimpers & stuff but they ain't much, I don't know how experienced you might be so for reference I include this link which shows some of your likely requirements .... forgive me if I am 'teaching my Grandmother to suck eggs !!'

Looks like you'll have plenty of 'change' anyway out of your budget, until you get up to network analysers there's not so much difference between testers except their sensivity (But if you are laying the cables, why do you need fancy testers? ... you ain't gonna be stupid enough to put them near interferance sources are you !? Well perhaps! ) & ease of use ...

Great tool!

Heres a great, inexpensive, and portable tool that I keep in my networking termination bag. Lots of information in a small package. Covers most standards in use today and the correct methods for planning, terminating, and testing your cable.
    Live long, die rich, leave a 20yo widow...

Home Depot

If you are looking for some decent tools at a good price, check out home depot, they have almost everything you need, cable (really good prices) crimpers, rj45 ends wall plates tons of great stuff.

good luck.
    A+ Net+ MCP CCNA