2000 Server and Slackware Webserver issues

Thread: 2000 Server and Slackware Webserver issues

2000 Server and Slackware Webserver issues

Here's my situation: I have a Windows 2000 Domain Server running RRAS for my network using a Cable modem with a static ip address. The address of the W2k Server is 10.1.1.1. I also have a Linux Webserver running Slackware 9.0 and its IP is 10.1.1.2. I don't have a firewall yet, just using RRAS and forwarding the ports to the webserver.

Ok from outside the office I can connect to my website just fine.

Now from the internal network I can only connect to the webserver if I goto http://10.1.1.2.

Do I need to change something on the W2k Server in order to connect to www."nameofwebsite".com?
    Sounds like you need a good FDISK

Re: 2000 Server and Slackware Webserver issues

Originally posted by ksm2552
    Here's my situation: I have a Windows 2000 Domain Server running RRAS for my network using a Cable modem with a static ip address. The address of the W2k Server is 10.1.1.1. I also have a Linux Webserver running Slackware 9.0 and its IP is 10.1.1.2. I don't have a firewall yet, just using RRAS and forwarding the ports to the webserver.

Ok from outside the office I can connect to my website just fine.

Now from the internal network I can only connect to the webserver if I goto http://10.1.1.2.

Do I need to change something on the W2k Server in order to connect to www."nameofwebsite".com?
    First thing, internaly, when you resolve that FQDN, do you get your internal IP address, or your external one?

It's difficult to judge what is going on. I think the main issue is that your hiding your webserver behind your RRAS, so when you resolve the IP, you get your internal IP and your system get's forwarded to the internal interface, wich does not do the port forwarding. hence, trying to logon to the server

i *think* (would have to test this theory) that if you made a PTR record, pointed www.website.com to the internal IP of the webserver, it SHOULD resovle correctly internaly and externaly, your ISP's DNS servers should direct the traffic to your server..

your other option is to edit EACH host file on EACH computer, and add the static mapping.. this WOULD work.. but if you have a large network, may take a while.. you could force the file out via logon scripts and such..
    Last edited by Matridom; May 22nd, 2003 at 08:07 PM.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Just tested the PTR idea.. No go.

Now, if your AD domain, is the same as your FQDN, meanning your AD domain is "website.com" then (and this i HAVE tested) make a new name entry (with associated PTR) for "www" and point it to the internal IP of your webserver.

when YOUR DNS resolves www.website.com, you will get the internal IP....

it's either that or host files...
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans