Can't properly access files

Thread: Can't properly access files

Can't properly access files

I have two computers networked via a Linksys hub and NIC's.The operating systems are both ME.Systems have separate names and log-on passwords and no passwords set on files ( tried it w/ passwords also).Both computers "see" each other and I can open folders such as My Documents and file folders such as My Pictures , BUT, if I try to open an individual file such as an Excel or Word document the computer locks up....Internet sharing works fine (if you call sharing a dial-up fine ! ) I'm a complete novice at this , can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong ?

Well, we are missing some important bits to help out here..

First and most importantly, what windows are you running on each workstation. What protocols do you have installed?

How are you access the shares? Mapped drives? Browsing network neighbourhood?
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Talking Either you need more coffee or I am physic....

First and most importantly, what windows are you running on each workstation
    Windows ME !

Have a look at this link - How to Setup a Simple Network, blow by blow from equipment to software, complete with screenshots of all the 'software' screens you need to setup ...

Covers most of it ...

Re: Either you need more coffee or I am physic....

Originally posted by confus-ed
    Windows ME !
    missed that.. man, i'm getting rusty
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Thanks for the help

Yep , its Windows ME

I have set up my C: drive as a shared drive , and My Documents folder as a shared folder.I have disabled my AV program in Start Up just in case ... still no go.I am accessing thru Network Neighborhood.

The secondary computer will see the My Documents folder fine, it will open it and will open file folders in it ., but when I attempt to open an individual document such as an Excel file , it freezes. Both computers have MS Office 97 installed .As I said originally , Internet Sharing works fine , so I "assume" hardware and hardware installation is all OK.

Confus-ed , thanks for the link , I'll do more reading this afternoon , meanwhile , take the afternoon off 'cause now I'm Confus-ed !