USB Flash Memory Card Reader/Writer
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: USB Flash Memory Card Reader/Writer

Question USB Flash Memory Card Reader/Writer

i have a internal 6 in 1 USB Flash Memory Card Reader/Writer.i cant seem to get power to the device.i have it pluged into the USB port on the motherboard.
    I have a 6LX AT Form Factor Mainboard.i was wondering if it is a power supply problem.can someone please give me some advice.

Could we have a few more details please?

Whats the make and model of the card reader?
    What windows are you running?
    Have you loaded any drivers for it?

I have also moved this to the usb/firewire forum.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

i cant find a brand name for the USB Flash Memory Card Reader/Writer.
    I am running win 98.and yes i have loaded the drivers for it the way they said to do it

What happens when you put a flash card in to be read? Does it show up a virtual drive in my computer?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

no it doesnt.
    the directions said that after installing the drivers and rebooting it would reconise the hardware and set it up.and it would put an icon in my computer.it doesnt do that

Do you have any other usb devices? To prove whether usb ports are working?

Since it is AT format MB, I can assume, what pinouts of the USB cable are wrong (to be exactly - part of the cable, connected to the motherboard)... find the manual for your motherboard and check it... it's possible to re-arrange pins of that connector - according to the manual...
    (to find out, who is the manufacturer of the motherboard, you can use CTBIOS utility or HWInfo utility from www.hwinfo.com).

Good luck!

... & also "have it pluged into the USB port on the motherboard" .... perhaps the header is the wrong way around ? The ports go out the back, there is only a 'header' actually on the motherboard ... DmnThtHurt did say internal...

A lot of the AT motherboards that had USB ports had this feature switched off by default in bios. Check bios to make sure that usb support is enabled for mobo. Some bios will even let you enable/disable only one of the ports while leaving the other one off. Have seen a few techs spend a LOT of time trying to figure out a usb problem on an older AT board, only to find out that feature wasn't even enabled. Me being one of those techs. Very frustrating.
    Last edited by tobevers; May 28th, 2003 at 03:02 PM.

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    I recently couldn't get a smart card reader to be detected. Turned out it was the smart card inserted into the reader upside down. It also wasn't detected without the smart card inserted at all. When I put the card in correctly the little green light on the reader lit up and the system detected it.

ok is there a chance that if i turned the usb connector cable around, that it could shortout something on the MB.cause after i installed the drivers and connected the reader to the MB,I'v lost power to my CD rom.windows detects the cd rom but it wont read it and the light on the cd rom doesnt light up.could be a totally different problem but i wasnt haveing problems untill i installed the reader.

Sounds like a complete driver snaffuuuu

Right click my computer, properties, device manager, what devices have a ! or a ? or a X next to them?

i've looked there and there isnt any ? or !. that was one of the first things i did.

Whats listed under usb controller and usb root hub in device manager?

Whats listed in my devise manager is ,
    Intel82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller.
    USB Root Hub