USB not working

Thread: USB not working

Unhappy USB not working

Hi all,

I have four USBs on my computer. When I plug the USB in for my camera to one of the USBs on the back it works fine but when I plug it into one of the front USBs, it says UNknown device, and under device manager it says no driver. I have reinstalled the driver but it still does not work. Can anyone help me with this problem please.

Thankyou
    Sue

Then it is plugged in wrong on the board.....

From rear to front on the USB is VCC, -, +, GND.

ANY other way will give an error.
    Last edited by DocPC; July 20th, 2003 at 10:12 AM.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Usb

Thanks for reply Doc.

Is this problem easy to rectify myself who has some knowledge or do I need an expert to do it.

Regards
    Sue

I thik Doc just means that the wire from the front pannel connectors to the 'header' (a load of pins sticking out of the motherboard) is back to front ! ... it wants turning around 180 degrees ...

I wouldn't say this is 'expert' stuff but I take pc's to bits all day long ... you need to open the case (make sure its unplugged!) ... trace the wire from the front panel to the motherboard ... gently pull the plug off the header ... turn it though 180 & if it fits - 'gently' put it back the other way, job done !

I say' if it fits' as there's a possibility it mightn't, then the wire from the header to the connector is wrong ... different motherboards have different header asignments.

There's another, for me, more obvious thing to check first ! look in device manager & make sure all the usb ports show as working so here you want to see at least three ...

To allow for the possibility of differing header configurations, many generic cases have four single connectors on each cable, individually labelled. This type needs to be placed on the header pins in the correct order, rather than simply one four-pin connector one way round or the other.

Im with Confus-ed - first check the device manager (start, settings, control panel, system) Front usb have been usb2 while the back are usb 1.1 on some motherboards. If you have any ! or messages on any of the usb hubs or controllers, that is where the problem lies.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."