Stopping the Chat
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stopping the Chat

Exclamation Stopping the Chat

Here's the layout: Small business network. Windows 98 workstations. Linksys router and DSL internet connection.
    They don't authenticate to any server.

How do I stop them from installing assorted IM programs? Or at least stop the programs from working?
    I think I have to contend mostly with AIM, MS, and Yahoo.

I didn't see anything in the router where I could block this traffic. I'm not even sure on what ports those operate.

(I have made fake hosts files to keep them off certain web pages. Is there something similar for IM clients?)

Thanks for the help!
    Vote DrewmazTech for President!

"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Interesting read here - not terribly helpful, but fleshes out what you are up against.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Sounds like a small number of users on a *****peer network. Has management formulated a clear computer usage policy? Hopefully one with explicit hardware and software usage rules and spelled out consequences. You should have a policy in place and have everyone sign a copy. In my experience this should slow them down for at least a week. Best luck.
    The Moral Majority is neither.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

here is what i would do. It's a bit of a run around, but would work well

I'm assuming you want to control surfing. and block just about everything else.

Simple solution is to setup a web proxy server. set this computer up with EXCLUSIVE internet access, but do NOT setup NAT, what this means is that the computer or system will be acting to proxy webpages only, with NAT turned off, no other traffic can pass, so the computers that are configured to it for a proxy would be allowed through. You will then be able to control what websites get visited.

The only down side i would see to this setup is that it would also block e-mail, unless it was web based

Other alternatives is to setup a stand alone server running something like Micrososfts, Internet Security and Exceleration server, and use the policies within it to control internet access, ofcourse, setting that up would require more software, and with a 2k server, enabling AD and setting up a domain would be a consideration also...
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

It is a semi-small operation, but just telling them to stop and sign a paper isn't going to do jack%$#@. They'll slow down for a week or two, maybe...

I'm trying to finagle something with what they have now, or something cheap. No way would they spring for a 2k server just to block that. I can see it would be the best way, but what they have now works great for them.

"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Originally posted by drewmaztech
    It is a semi-small operation, but just telling them to stop and sign a paper isn't going to do jack%$#@. They'll slow down for a week or two, maybe...

I'm trying to finagle something with what they have now, or something cheap. No way would they spring for a 2k server just to block that. I can see it would be the best way, but what they have now works great for them.
    You don't need a 2k server. Even a 233Mhz Pentium with 64M of RAM on WinNT(for stability) or even Win95/98 without client for MS networks (for security) will work fine. All you need is a free proxy (and there are some available) and you're ready to go...
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Can you not 'do it the other way around' .... use your firewall to restrict where thay can visit ?

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where
    poledit?
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

on the linksys router, block all the default IM ports. It has the port filtering. This will prevent traffic on those ports from working.

The downside, if they figure out how to use port 80 (which means they cant use more than one IM at a time, and cant surf the net while using one) then they will get around it.

---------------------------
    On the side note...

After working for large IT and small IT departments for large (2000+ users) and small - mid size (15-300 users) businesses. Thier is ONLY ONE WAY TO STOP IT COMPLETELY.....

The manager/owner needs to lay down the law and empower you to enforce it, or to bring the offenders to him/her for enforcement.

Take internet shopping for example...

One of the places i worked for had problems with people on Ebay and other online stores shopping till they drop all day....

NOTHING worked till we ended up having to let 2 people go.
    (both warned in writing many times and made to read and sign a new policy about internet abuse)

Once they left and the example was set, to this day.... NO ONE abuses the internet.

Setup the router's trap message logging and get a small program called "Kiwi Syslog". this will allow you to run this on a single computer as a service that just monitors the router and logs all incomming and outgoing traffice.

example:

Date/time -- From ip - in/out bound - on port# --- to IP -- on Port#

The full version ($20 bucks or so) you can even setup filters for it logs different messages to different files.

All outbound traffic on port 80 to file: webtraffic.log
    all inbould traffice to file : security breach attempts

alny thing you can think of... VERY nice.

I then import the .log file to excel, which i wrote a macro to parse it and turn on the "auto filter" feature in excell. so i can "drill down" more and get what i want from the logs in secoinds.

The logs can also be setup to overwrite each day, or archive them hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, so on and so forth.
    You know you want a crabby patty!!

Originally posted by confus-ed
    Can you not 'do it the other way around' .... use your firewall to restrict where thay can visit ?
    I'm not sure what you mean as all you can really do from a firewall is close and open ports . . . . so you can open all of port 80 (web browsing) or none of it etc. A proxy server will filter. . . a true firewall won't but there are some good free proxy servers out there . . . especially based on linux, nice combo proxy firewall, router etc. . . . but you may have stumbled onto something because if he can figure out what port IM traffic is going in and out of he can block traffic to that port at the firewall.

same with streaming media.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

I think blocking the IM port traffic at the router level would be my best best, I think. Now all I have to do is figure out what ports those are!

We're not dealing with highly sophisticated users, so I don't worry too much about their reconfiguring the im clients for port 80.

Errrrrr so your firewall only closes & opens ports, but not for a particular address ?

I often set firewalls 'up' so they stop everything everywhere ... then add rules to allow stuff through but only to the ips I (or some other 'admin' ) set, & only for the required ports .... Truely a pain to set up & maintain, but I get asked every single week to do it this way - block all, then allow known or required only.....

Errrrrr so your firewall only closes & opens ports, but not for a particular address ?

I often set firewalls 'up' so they stop everything everywhere ... then add rules to allow stuff through but only to the ips I (or some other 'admin' ) set, & only for the required ports .... Truely a pain to set up & maintain, but I get asked every single week to do it this way - block all, then allow known or required only.....

enlighten me . . . .what firewalls are you using? I've been using linux boxes mostly smoothwall I can open and close ports on the firewall side of it, but if I get into setting up rules I'm doing it though squid with ACLS and squid is a transparent proxy server not a firewall.

Talking Kato perhaps I'm being my usual self.....

I dunno if we are getting terminology mix-ed up ! Take a look at some of the 'personal firewalls' like kerio ... more than feasable ...

Re: Kato perhaps I'm being my usual self.....

I dunno if we are getting terminology mix-ed up ! Take a look at some of the 'personal firewalls' like kerio ... more than feasable ...
    no we're just on opposite ends of the spectrum . . . . hardware vs software that's all. . . . . I haven't played around with any of the software based stuff like kerio norton or zone alarm . . . I usually put up a smoothwall box or another linux distro on a dedicated machine. . . .

you can code all kind of extra stuff into a software "firewall" but if you have a true hardware firewall / router then you'll be able to telnet into it or access it via web browser, and open and close ports. . . and that's about it.

the smoothwall distro - which is great - was built to be an inexpensive alternitive to cisco routers / firewalls, and you can open, close and map ports, but NOT restrict certain sites, or authenticate users etc. . . when you get into that arena you're dealing with a proxy . . . . probably transparent but a proxy none the less.
    Last edited by kato2274; May 28th, 2003 at 09:00 AM.