windows 2003 server

Thread: windows 2003 server

windows 2003 server

Hello gang..
    I recently got windows 2003 server enterprice edition... i tried to upgrade from my windows xp corp. and i get a message that cant be upgraded...( i get the same from windows 2000 pro to win 2k3 server )
    i am thinking it needs to be a fresh install, but i dont want to go through a fresh install on my server, i would like to know if any of you have done the installation bypassing the fresh install.. in other words, is there a way to just upgrade from windows xp to windows 2003 server with out having to format or fresh install of the new O.S ?
    thanks in advance for the info.
    Assumption is the mother of all fucl< ups

Dual boot it would be my suggestion.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

true.. it gives you the choice to install on another partition.. but i want to stay away from the dual boot..
    thanks for the info though.

It is not a valid upgrade path to upgrade from a client OS to a Server OS - so it will not work and I would not advise hacking the registry or setup to make it work as it may have dangerous results. You should run duall boot in this case, or use a machine emulator like www.vmware.com which will allow you to run Windows Server 2003 on a virtual server from within your XP workstation, you cna interact with the 2003 just like on a network and access the internet on both pc's - really impressive software.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Re: windows 2003 server

Originally posted by PeLiGrOsO
    Hello gang..
    I recently got windows 2003 server enterprice edition... i tried to upgrade from my windows xp corp. and i get a message that cant be upgraded...( i get the same from windows 2000 pro to win 2k3 server )
    i am thinking it needs to be a fresh install, but i dont want to go through a fresh install on my server, i would like to know if any of you have done the installation bypassing the fresh install.. in other words, is there a way to just upgrade from windows xp to windows 2003 server with out having to format or fresh install of the new O.S ?
    thanks in advance for the info.
    i looked at the upgrade option, i wanted to upgrade my 2k server to 2k3 without reinstalling, the update took FOREVER, the main issue is with Active directories and the forest scheme to be implemented before the upgrade, the process took too long for me (i gave up waiting at 3 hours) and just formated and did a scratch isntall.

you'll be *much* better off with a clean isntall
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

server 2003

Went through the same thing, also it will install both 2000 and 2003 on the same HDD. I went back to 2000 since there are very few device drivers for 2003.

thanks for the suggestions and the info...
    I think I will make a ghost image of my server and then do a clean format with server 2k3.. hoping it will find the drivers it needs.. will let you know.