Sharing address books over a network for Outlook XP?

Thread: Sharing address books over a network for Outlook XP?

Sharing address books in over network for Outlook XP?

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anybody knew of a way to share an address book over a network without exchange or a Win 2k box on the network? I've got a real cheapee client of mine that won't shell out for a Win 2K server with excahange to handle his e-mail (still using DIAL-UP with 3rd party POP service and DIAL-UP SMTP service!).

If there's not a way that you guys know of then would you happen to know how to import export and address book WITH the folders? I've seem to run into a lot of problems with this exporting from Outlook Express (OE) and importing back to OE. Same problem going from OE to Outlook, gets all the addresses over but doesn't build folders and put them back in.

Thanks!

Sharing address books over a network for Outlook XP?

Hey guys, posted this in the Networking section but wanted to see if you all had any input on it aswell. I was just wondering if anybody knew of a way to share an address book over a network without exchange or a Win 2k box on the network? I've got a real cheapee client of mine that won't shell out for a Win 2K server with excahange to handle his e-mail (still using DIAL-UP with 3rd party POP service and DIAL-UP SMTP service!).

If there's not a way that you guys know of then would you happen to know how to import export and address book WITH the folders? I've seem to run into a lot of problems with this exporting from Outlook Express (OE) and importing back to OE. Same problem going from OE to Outlook, gets all the addresses over but doesn't build folders and put them back in.

Thanks!

Please keep the same issue to one thread in one forum, most of us who do help, check all the forums. When someone knows the answer to your issue, they will post.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

I'll repeat Matridom's words from your 'other' thread & say "PLEASE DO NOT MAKE DUPLICATE POSTS TO GET MORE ANSWERS"

So go look at that one ... I've answered there !

Matridom: I repeated your advice above on his 'other' thread .... this looks the best place so I'll answer here ...

Interex: How are you doing this ? Try this 'training' procedure

This seems to indicate that 'embeded' folders should move back & forth just fine ... though little alarm bells are ringing about having to move each 'embeded' or sub folder seperately ... perhaps this isn't the right versions ... I'm always confus-ed at the best of times ... but I can't fathom whether you want to move 'stuff' from OE to Outlook or from one OE install to another ? ... a little clarification if you would ?

Threads merged
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by NooNoo
    Threads merged
    thanx "SuperMod"
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Export the contacts, folders, etc. that you want to share to a new .pst file on a shared drive. Any user with access to the drive should then be able to open the pst in Outlook or import from it. The only limitation I can think of is that Outlook is not happy about sharing pst's. Therefore, it may not be possible for more than one user to have the pst open at the same time without getting a sharing violation.

Lightbulb A question of sytle vs content ......

Originally posted by NooNoo
    Threads merged
    Well thanks ... but why ? Its more confus-ing than it was before ... No offence intended but wouldn't it have been 'better' to just close the 'wrong' thread ?

I'm none too impress-ed with 'merge' ... just muddles stuff up ! ... but before anybody takes this the 'wrong' way I do appreciate the effort !

Sorry about that guys, I was just getting desperate for an answer after trying numerous things and nothing seemed to work. I'll keep my posts to one thread per topic from now on.

Thanks confus-ed and hudson for your input. I'm going to try both suggestions and see how they work out.

Okey dokey ... let us know if either bit of advice helps....

BTW was it from OE to Outlook or from one OE install to another ?

OE to Outlook