XP Upgrade Advisor
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: XP Upgrade Advisor

XP Upgrade Advisor

I have an AMD 1.6, AZZA mb, Award BIOS, Mad Dog 4x/8x Video 64 ram, 256 System Ram. VIA Chipset with current Drivers, Windows 98, etc, etc.

When I run the XP Upgrade advisor tool it generates a fatal error - " Set Up Cannot Continue. Contact Microsoft Technical Support. (Error: 597FF58h)

I'm waiting to hear from Microsoft

First of all welcome to the boards!

The upgrade advisor you tried is from an xp cd or the downloadable version? (click here) If you have been using the cd version, I would recommend you try the downloadable version.

If you read through the page there it says its best to be online while you run it.

Do you have any antivirus or data protection running such as Norton Sytem Works running?

If you download the free personal audit from Belarc.Com and run it, it is able to generate a report?

Let us know what happens - good luck!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Update

I'm running the downloadable version from Microsoft, I'm online with a DSL Connection and the PC is running a ' Clean' Clean Windows 98 install. No antivirus or add ons. I'll give the other recomended download a try.

Thank you

Thumbs up Belarc

The Belarc Advisor ran without a problem - a vry nice tool I may add.

OK, so have you tried redownloading the xp advisor? Maybe you got a corrupt version, it happens...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

XP Upgrade Advisor

I've run it from the CD & Re-downloaded it, same failure. I am currently running this machine with Win98 to type this. Games run without a hitch also on Win 98 - just not the performance I'd expect.

Have you checked for viruses, spyware and other nasties?

Talking The upgrade advisor requires upgrade !

The upgrade advisor (on-line or not) isn't 'fool proof' ...

DIY ... check the Windows Hardware Compatibility List (proggies are what you are interested in from the 'upgrade advisor'- I think from memory you can ask the 'wizard' to do just those ?)

I would suggest that all that 'stuff' looks like it will work anyway !

The question I would suggest you think about 'hard' isn't that at all, but do I want a 'clean' xp install or an upgraded one ?

You only need to worry about any hidden 'nasties' on your current sytem if you want to 'upgrade', if you 'clean' install its all 'gone' anyway !

Clean install

I actually noticed the problem when I rac a clean XP install. Mostly with Games. I reloaded the system with Win98 and the games run, just not up to potential. I know all the hardware works, I was hoping that the upgrade advisor would nail the problem component. Of course, the error message in no way gives a clue as to whay the Problem is.

Question Re: Clean install - Huh ?????

Originally posted by Chiun_1
    I actually noticed the problem when I rac a clean XP install. Mostly with Games. I reloaded the system with Win98 and the games run, just not up to potential. I know all the hardware works, I was hoping that the upgrade advisor would nail the problem component. Of course, the error message in no way gives a clue as to whay the Problem is.
    So what were you asking then ? I'm bemused by this post ...

Usually you run the content advisor from 98 (which is the operating system it was designed for - so if you got errors running it under xp I'm not surprised !) ....

Then you say you reloaded 98 !!! Well there was a lot of point running the content advisor then wasn't there ?

If you can't make 98 games run 'good' in xp that's another question entirely !! so yourself !!

If you can't get games going in xp try the various compatability modes by right clicking the program '.exe' (though if that proggie runs other proggies as part of its execution you need to make them 'compatible' too) ... but often 98 games are written only for that o/s & no amount of tinkering will fix them as they rely on specific functions which are only available from 9x .... this is why so many folks want dual boot (have both o/s on at the same time) ...

I keep saying this but you are 'new' ... When asking on WD - if you make your intent clear then you will get better answers, otherwise you find you'll just get your question answered which may very well not help ... we ain't physic !! You need to tell us what you want to achieve !!!!

Fatal Error 597FF58h

Quote Originally Posted by Chiun_1
    I have an AMD 1.6, AZZA mb, Award BIOS, Mad Dog 4x/8x Video 64 ram, 256 System Ram. VIA Chipset with current Drivers, Windows 98, etc, etc.

When I run the XP Upgrade advisor tool it generates a fatal error - " Set Up Cannot Continue. Contact Microsoft Technical Support. (Error: 597FF58h)

I'm waiting to hear from Microsoft
    Hi, Chiun_1,
    I'm new to this site, but have found that you have the same problem that I am having. Would you be kind enough to e-mail me any fixes you get for the problem? I would appreciate any help you could give me. My e-mail address is [email protected]

Welcome to Windrivers vman1030. What windows did you run the update advisor on?

Or were you upgrading to XP when this happened?
    If so read here

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Welcome to Windrivers vman1030. What windows did you run the update advisor on?

Or were you upgrading to XP when this happened?
    If so read here
    Thanks for the welcome, NooNoo. I was wondering if anyone would respond to my message. As to my problem, I ran the upgrade advisor on Windows 98SE and I ran it online, from microsoft. I am not very good at finding info so far, but I did run the Belarc Advisor, and the results were O.K. I don't want to lose all of my installed programs if at all possible, so I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me. I am a computer novice, but I'm learning ( I personally built the computer I am on now); I may have installed something that I shouldn't have.

Could you confirm what error messages you received... where they EXACTLY the same as chiuns?

What point in the setup did it happen.
    Did upgrade advisor for XP tell you about any problems? Please post the belar report (leaving out the cdkeys and registrations.)

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Could you confirm what error messages you received... where they EXACTLY the same as chiuns?

What point in the setup did it happen.
    Did upgrade advisor for XP tell you about any problems? Please post the belar report (leaving out the cdkeys and registrations.)
    My error message was exactly the same; It happens when the upgrade advisor is prepaing the upgrade report.
    Below is my Belarc. Let me know what you see. I will send you the rest in another message

Computer Profile Summary
    Computer Name: Van (in STARKS ORGANIZA)
    Profile Date: Saturday, April 24, 2004 4:51:28 PM
    Advisor Version: 6.1
    Windows Logon: Ravana C. Starks

Click here for Belarc's PC Management products, for large and small companies.

Operating System System Model
    Windows 98 SE (build 4.10.2222) No details available
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    1.27 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
    128 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-7VAXP 1.x
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F11 01/14/2003
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    71.10 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    64.52 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HP CD-Writer+ 9700k [CD-ROM drive]
    OEM CD-ROM F566E
    Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

IOMEGA ZIP 100 [Hard drive] (100 MB) -- drive 2, rev 10.V
    Maxtor 6E040L0 [Hard drive] (41.11 GB) -- drive 0, s/n E15F493E, rev NAR61590, SMART Status: Healthy
    WDC WD300EB-32CPF0 [Hard drive] (30.02 GB) -- drive 1, s/n WD-WMAAT4797358, rev 06.04G06, SMART Status: Healthy 256 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 256 MB
    Slot 'A1' is Empty
    Slot 'A2' is Empty
    Local Drive Volumes

c: (on drive 0) 41.10 GB 34.58 GB free
    d: (on drive 1) 30.00 GB 29.94 GB free

Network Drives

Users Printers
    No details available FaxTalk Communicator on TCIFAX:
    HP DeskJet 840C Series on USB/DeskJet 840C/MY088191WYKV

Controllers Display
    Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    Iomega Win98 USB Disk Controller
    Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 [Display adapter]
    Default Monitor
    Bus Adapters Multimedia
    Win9x-ME Promise MBUltra133 (PDC20276) (tm) IDE Controller
    VIA PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
    VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller Avance AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller
    Gameport Joystick (no joystick connected)
    MPU-401 Compatible
    Wave Device for Voice Modem
    Communications Other Devices
    AOpen FM56-PLM 56K Speakerphone PCI Modem
    VGA Digital Camera [Modem]
    Microsoft TV/Video Connection
    Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter
    Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
    Network Card MAC Address: 00:20:ED:69:2D:B1
    Network IP Address: 68.80.193.5 / 24 PCI OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    AOpen FM56-PLM 56K Speakerphone PCI Modem
    OneTouch 5800 USB
    Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    General purpose USB Hub
    Iomega Zip 100 USB Driver
    Unknown Device
    USB 2.0 Root Hub
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub
    DeskJet 840C #MY088191WYKV
    Virus Protection
    No AntiVirus details available
    Installed Microsoft Hotfixes [Back to Top]
    DataAccess
    Q318203 on 5/5/03 (details...)
    Q329414-25 on 5/5/03 (details...)
    DirectX
    DX819696 (details...)
    Internet Explorer
    Q313829 (details...)
    Q330994 (details...)
    Q813489 (details...)
    Q818529 (details...)
    Q822925 (details...)
    Q824145 (details...)
    Q828750 (details...)
    Q831167 (details...)
    Q832894 (details...)
    Q837009 (details...)
    SP1 (SP1)
    Win98.SE
    UPD238453 (details...)
    UPD242975 (details...)
    Win98.SE (continued)
    UPD256015 (details...)
    UPD259728 (details...)
    UPD267304 (details...)
    UPD273017 (details...)
    UPD273468 (details...)
    UPD273991 (details...)
    UPD3781 (Windows 98 Second Edition UHCD Update)
    UPDQ823559 (details...)
    Win98
    UPD245729 (details...)
    UPD314147 (details...)
    UPD323172 (details...)
    UPD323255 (details...)
    UPD329115 (details...)
    UPD811630 (details...)
    Windows Media Player
    WM819639 (details...)

Click here to see all available Microsoft security hotfixes for this computer.

Marks a HotFix that verifies correctly
    Marks a HotFix that fails verification
    (note that failing hotfixes need to be reinstalled)
    Unmarked HotFixes lack the data to allow verification