Funny Complaint Letter - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Funny Complaint Letter

Registered User Stanley_Kubrick's Avatar
    Interesting letter. I totally dig the way you crazy brits express yourselves. I can't wait til next summer when I will be visiting your esteemed Island in person, and can eperience your brilliance in 3 fun-filled dimensions! w00t w00t!

School uniforms are quite a turn-on; yet I personally feel they are unconstitutional (on the basis of free speech) if applied to a taxpayer-supported public school environment.
    Jesus Saves.

Gretzky recovers... He shoots... HE SCORES!!!

Not to mention, who is supposed to pay for the uniforms? Student’s parents, taxpayers, either way it is a farce. Come down to reality. Yeah, the theory that there is better learning when you bring everyone to the same level is achievable, but it is also a false sense of reality. Kids learn quickly to adapt to hard situations, and are better prepared for life as a result. The ones that can't hack should be noticed by faculty, and parents, and perhaps additional attention can be offered, but in reality kids have to learn how to deal with problems as they grow up, not when they turn 18…

Originally posted by Ya_know
    Not to mention, who is supposed to pay for the uniforms? Student’s parents, taxpayers, either way it is a farce. Come down to reality. Yeah, the theory that there is better learning when you bring everyone to the same level is achievable, but it is also a false sense of reality. Kids learn quickly to adapt to hard situations, and are better prepared for life as a result. The ones that can't hack should be noticed by faculty, and parents, and perhaps additional attention can be offered, but in reality kids have to learn how to deal with problems as they grow up, not when they turn 18…
    School uniform is the norm here, parents like it because its (relatively) cheap, hardwaring and easycare materials, schools like it because you can spot a truant easily and the kids like it because they don't have to compete over clothes. A win-win situation. If they don't wear the uniform correctly then it becomes a discipline issue - not a freedom of expression issue.

If you feel that way about kids wearing uniforms in schools, why do the cops and other services have to wear uniform?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by Ya_know
    The point you bring to bear here, thankfully, actually supports my ideas...Americans in general are handed things on a silver platter and are truly unprepared for living in the real world when they finish school. As far as paying for the uniforms, that can fall wherever seems appropriate. On the one hand, parents can take on that responsibility since they will not have to buy as much clothing for their kids for school. Another option would be to have it tax supported, which goes back to my statement on reversing all the tax cuts to our educational system. Sure, I love the idea of getting huge returns and nice little kickbacks, but I would rather that money be put into a good education vice the crap that I know I will end up spending it on.
    --Those who think they know everything annoy those of us that do.

Banned
    The problem with uniforms is that you just know they will buy them at the same place they get mothers' clothes, then as soon as a good flash storm hits, they run all the magical colors of the rainbow and then boom instant anarchy. Just more pinko communal hottentot regimented thinking from the center of the right hand left side.

Originally posted by Cleetus
    The problem with uniforms is that you just know they will buy them at the same place they get mothers' clothes, then as soon as a good flash storm hits, they run all the magical colors of the rainbow and then boom instant anarchy. Just more pinko communal hottentot regimented thinking from the center of the right hand left side.
    Yeah!

Originally posted by NooNoo
    If you feel that way about kids wearing uniforms in schools, why do the cops and other services have to wear uniform?
    Ok, I was going along good with your ideas until this. If they don't want to wear the uniform, they can find another job! If a cop expects to preserve authority with his presence without a uniform, it is going to be a cold day in hell because people will be on their worst behavior. I think a bus driver wears the uniform because it is nice to know the difference between the passenger and the driver; let's me know right away if I want to continue riding.

As far as the military, well…again if you won’t wear the uniform, you don’t get the job!

So tell me again, what was your point?

My point, if you can expect girl and boy scouts to wear a uniform and if they refuse they are out, the same for the military - why does this mindset not apply to your schools? Why is it a freedom of expression issue?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Banned
    Originally posted by NooNoo
    My point, if you can expect girl and boy scouts to wear a uniform and if they refuse they are out, the same for the military - why does this mindset not apply to your schools? Why is it a freedom of expression issue?
    I think he is saying because you choose to join any of those other groups, or jobs, while school is on a different level, not really a choice, something that we are obliged to do as a child.

At Texas A&M, it was my choice to join the corps, and through that choice, I was then obliged to wear a military uniform throughout my college career, it ws my choice to live in a military style, and was my choice to join that organization that made me eat in a military style for every meal. While this is college, it is still the same for highschool on down. If you choose to join the band, you choose to wear their uniform at designated times, same for cheerleaders, ffootball, and so on. But just for going to class, which is obligated by law(for highschool on down) then you are no longer operating under that choice, but the idea of wearing what you want while there and not under the "rules" of any of these other groups, is a basic tenent of those choices that we get to make as we grow older to wear what we please within reason.
    Last edited by Cleetus; June 11th, 2003 at 03:55 PM.

For that matter, why isn't it a choice to go to school? That in it self is unconstitutional! Free the students!

We don't need no education!?!

edit: We don't need no...NO NO NO...Parental guidance here!!!
    Last edited by Ya_know; June 11th, 2003 at 04:20 PM.

School uniforms are,in the UK anyway,used amongst other things,as way of leveling those people who are more fortunate to those who are not.
    It is also an early attempt to place some respect and communal spirit amongst the children as a whole,to give them a first footing on the way the world runs.So that everyone who attends school does so on a level playing field and attempts to imply to them that no one person is better than another and all have the same chance of success with the right guidance.

Who would not do the very best for their children whether the child liked it or not.

Knowledge is no respecter of age, but a child is still a child.

I have many obligations and duty is but one,
    I am the essence of my learning and stand by everyone.
    Last edited by Archer; June 11th, 2003 at 05:09 PM.

Wow, what a diverse and intriguing thread.

I do agree that the American public school system is currently lacking. Though I place more than a small portion of the blame on the breakup of the family unit, the current social and legal aura of entitlement, and a general lack of personal accountability.

I think the only functional solution is more dollars. I would be more than willing to see a great many current projects slashed to increase public school expenditures tenfold. better pay for teachers, more teachers, smaller class sizes. Getting any more detailed than that quickly results in a huge mired mess.

As for uniforms..NooNoo.. your freedom of expression is whether or not to join the scouts, or any other group you may choose. Public schools are just that, public. You can, at your expense send your children to a private school that includes uniform wear if you so choose. While I see many valuable and outwardly pragmatic reasons for uniform wear, it does stifle individuality and freedom of expression. I deeply believe in the wisdom of our founding fathers and the value of liberty and freedom, in all of its many facets. I could go into great detail but I can sum in up no better than to end with this quote..."A society that would trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither".
    Last edited by cisco2; June 11th, 2003 at 05:21 PM.
    If it's true that wherever you go, there you are: how come so many people look lost?

it does stifle individuality and freedom of expression.
    Afraid I`d have to disagree with you on that point cisco2 the whole idea of uniforms is not to stiffle an individual but rather to bind then together and help bring out the individuals uniqueness and diversity through the patience of teaching.Not to chain their liberty to a fence or rob them of their freedom that is not the goal.

Its not the exterior that makes the difference but whats inside or in this case what is taught to those individuals,who though they may not understand at the time,involves the unique learning process within those few precious years before the responsibility of adulthood kicks in.

Do not enter the path of thinking that money solves all,it is mental attitude and taking responsibility for ones actions that resolve crisis.

How can one hope to learn or excel in ones own field within a classroom of individuals who have no common ties?

Are you not the summation of your learning?

If the children are untaught, their ignorance
    and vices will in future life cost us much
    dearer in their consequences than it would have done
    in their correction by a good education.
    Last edited by Archer; June 11th, 2003 at 06:04 PM.

I dont for the briefest moment believe that money solves all, oe even any problem. Suggesting more dollars is merely a simplification of a very complex problem.

You mention bringing out the individual through the patience of teaching.
    -Certainly the value of caring teaching and mentoring is not lost on me.
    yet you next state that it is not the exterior that makes the difference but what is inside.
    -a somewhat generalized comment that is at odds with your initial statement - as teachers are an exterior force. An exterior force with a greater ability to reach inside than clothing to be sure but exterior nonetheless. The statement is also at odds with being the summation of my learning. Certainly experience has had profound affect upon my development, yet I refuse to believe that God (in whatever form you find your faith) endowed me with nothing more than an empty container to fill. Another favored quote of mine. "The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be lighted".

As I hinted at in my initial post I see much value in uniforms yet still I see them as a greater danger in stifling creativity and individuality. To ignore the importance of external individuality is folly. Our primary sense is vision and while it certainly sounds wise to claim one should not judge a book by its cover, realizing that the reality is most books are judged by their cover then learning to accept and work within that reality is wiser by far.

Everywhere in society fashion and appearance are paramount. Go to a singles bar wearing budget store clothing available to everyone one night and wearing personally tailored fashions the next and see in which you have more success. Then tell me all about its whats inside that counts.

Yes I realize that the rich and privileged will be the luckier ones when it comes to clothing options while the poorer kids will feel left out. Yet this disparity can and has resulted in very driven adults who are determined to achieve success despite their humble roots so that their children will not suffer the same embarrassment.

Additionally I believe that trying to make every child "equal" as with uniforms, is to stifle the most creative and talented children by forcing artificial external equality. I would far rather see our brightest youth doing, saying, and wearing things that shock us as they conceive and invent wonders we cannot yet imagine than to force them into less shocking behaviors and fashions as we make little automatons who are more likely to be nothing more than the intellectual clones of their parents.

=)

of course I could be silly and wrong, but thats my story and I'm stcking to it!
    If it's true that wherever you go, there you are: how come so many people look lost?

Look at the clothing that's chosen for schools - look at the kids that hanker after being the same, some will even steal to be able to wear what the "other kids" wear... If they are so repressed in a uniform, tell me why so many children wish to wear the uniform of their peers?