anti-virus + adaware + ?

Thread: anti-virus + adaware + ?

anti-virus + adaware + ?

Okay in addition to the anti-virus software we use we have started seeing the need for adaware ( or something similiar ). On a personal level i also throw in a firewall but I was wondering if there are other things I should consider. Both for personal use and to clean up my customers computers....

I'm very happy with my av but what about adaware we just started using it is there an alternative? Any warnings or such while using this stuff?

TIA
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

These days I like to use spybot search and destroy
    as far as warnings while using it..update it before you use it..remember that programs which depend on spyware to work may not work after running it..

It offers an inoculate feature

I just noticed that my last update of Panda Platinum 7.0 included a software firewall that works quite well btw
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Thanks geo will look into some of these other softwares! by the by hows your weather up there? it was awesome yesterday but cold and rainy today....

I believe that most people around here would recommend SpyBot over AdAware. Once you download it, go back and perform the Update routine.

Yep..started raining last night..but supposed to be warm over the weekend..you know what they say.."colder by the lake"
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Originally posted by geoscomp
    Yep..started raining last night..but supposed to be warm over the weekend..you know what they say.."colder by the lake"
    You ain't kidding!!! I got up one day and it was almost 80 F at the house and when I got downtown it was 50 F!!!!

Originally posted by JaxSon
    I believe that most people around here would recommend SpyBot over AdAware. Once you download it, go back and perform the Update routine.
    Cool I guess adaware just has name recognition edge ( at least in my brain ) that is the only one I could remember when I needed it!

might also consider a trojan hunter or remover to complement what you already have

might also consider a trojan hunter or remover to complement what you already have
    a decent firewall should stop trojans anyway, and most antivirus software can pick them up 9/10 times...
    "they're funny things, accidents. you never have them untill you're having them" - Winnie The Pooh

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where
    CD of relevantr updates from the Windows Update catalog.
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

For personal use I would go with both adaware and spybot I've read reviews that say spybot will catch stuff that adaware misses and adaware will catch stuff that spybot misses, though I don't have specific examples of either.

For AV I use AVG antivirus which works nicely for me and cleaning up friends/coworkers' PCs.

And I don't think anyone mentioned a good spam filter. I use mailwasher and tweak it to check realtime spammer databases and it works great. I would think your customers would love you for that.

And a popup stopper is always nice I use PopUp Stopper which does what I need.

there's other stuff too, but I think those are my essentials
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

I use both Spybot S&D and AdAware. What one misses, the other catches. They seem to work pretty good together cleaning up a messed up machine. Might also want to use BHO Demon to see what's tagged itself to your IE proggie.
    Last edited by Sunshine; June 11th, 2003 at 08:06 AM.
    Life is short - Eat dessert first! mmmm... cake

Thumbs up

Originally posted by geoscomp
    These days I like to use spybot search and destroy
    as far as warnings while using it..update it before you use it..remember that programs which depend on spyware to work may not work after running it..

It offers an inoculate feature

I just noticed that my last update of Panda Platinum 7.0 included a software firewall that works quite well btw
    Two thumbs up - I have been using it for quite a while.
    I also suggest on Using a proggy called BigFIX - its like the MOAB of update software.
    You can catch it on:
    BigFIX

Enjoy,
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

thanks all i do appreciate all the input from everyone. It really is hard to keep up on all the little proggies out there.... Usually I only have time to try them out of necessity and we all know how it suchs to HAVE to find something without looking into it FIRST.

I have downloaded many of the suggestions already and will impliment as necessary... Anyone else know a cool proggy please speak up...