can't obtain an IP Address.

Thread: can't obtain an IP Address.

can't obtain an IP Address.

So I am switching a client from dsl to cable and we are switching to dhcp IP's from a linsys besfr41 Cable/Dsl Router switch. I can obtain an IP from the router for the laptop but not on the desktop unit. When I run ipconfig /release it says its already done and when I run ipconfig /renew it errors out and says it can perform the task. I tried to rebuild the tcp/ip stack but I cant remove it in network neighborhood. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Uninstall the NIC in safemode, reboot without the NIC, shut down and re-install the card.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Try ipconfig /all and see if there is anything set static or what it has the nic set up as.

If anything is static - remove the static addresses that may be pointing it towards the wrong location to get an IP from.

Then when it's not that do what doc said to do.

Thanks Doc worked like a charm. I figured that somehow the tcp/ip stack was corrupted just not sure how to resolve the issue when it wouldn't let me uninstall it. Catch you latter.

Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!