I.P. retrieval

Thread: I.P. retrieval

I.P. retrieval

While instant messaging with someone, is it possible to obtain the other person's i.p. address & how could this be done?
    "I see your lips moving but all I hear is 169.blah.blah.blah."

You ask them
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Phhhggttt...

* Laughs/Gags and snorts hot coffee out nose *
    Live long, die rich, leave a 20yo widow...

If they're not behind a firewall, proxy, router or NAT device, then you could try the NETSTAT command from DOS and it's variables to see if anything comes up, but it's a shot in the dark.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

if you're going through a router you can look at the router status... most routers have one...
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Don't believe that netstat will give you anything apart from the connection to the Messenger servers. You don't actually connect directly to each other when chatting on Messenger, rather each client connects to the MSN Messenger service and is relayed to eachother through that.

emr

You run a sniffer on your own machine and get all of the IP's it's connecting to.

or you run a port scanner on your machine and look at the open ports and the IP's connected to them. trojan port scanner does this and it's available from tucows in shareware format.

Nope, just checked, netstat only gives you the Messenger server you are connected to. It's not like NetMeeting with someone where you connect directly to their pc using there IP address.

A sniffer or scanner will give you the same results I would think. In short, as you don't connect directly the information isn't there to be scanned or sniffed.

emr

astalavisa.box.sk (dont go to at work)

is a place where you can get IM security anaylisers to retieve the IP of another IM client.

Or..

If your IM client has direct file transfers.. turn on port scanner and logit to a file...

Start the transfer (bypassing the IM server) and it will attempt to direct connect. even if it fails, you still get the log of the ip attempted.

who are you trying to bust at work? or hack? or pissed you off that you want to know WHO it is?
    You know you want a crabby patty!!