I forget but...

Thread: I forget but...

I forget but...

when you updated printer drivers on a print server running 2000 server will it kick the updated printers to the client pc's running 2000 pro using those printers?
    Shoot 'em up! Shoot 'em up! Pow! Pow!

Not if the drivers are already installed on the clients. I am sure there is a way to push that to the clients, but not through the native printer sharing...

Originally posted by Ya_know
    I am sure there is a way to push that to the clients,
    group policy maybe?
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Well,

I went ahead and did some testing on my computer and it seems that it does push the updated driver to the client machine.

I installed printer 1 on my machine using a PCL5e driver then updated the driver on the server side to PCL6 and I went back and looked at the printer properties on my computer and yes, it updated to PCL6.

Sweetness!!

Thanks anyways!!!

Is that printer scripted?

Scripted?

No. I don't think so.

That is weird that it seems to have pushed the update to the client. I would suspect some sort of scripting going on even if you don't see it.

I have noticed that when W2k rolled around or maybe it's XP the printer names changed to ''connection to 'Printer' on 'Server'' or something like that. Because I used to rename printers on the clients PC to something that made sense to the end user like 'Accounting Laser Printer', or fake out the PC by installing the same printer twice on the same client with one configured for portrait and one configure for landscape.

And W2k or XP took that rename option away as soon as it started refering to them as connections. So maybe now it's backround scripting such as a config file saying "drivers for this printer are located on \\server\printer".
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

I was looking at my script for network printer connections, and i was thinking maybe when we connect the printers manually that it does a similar thing as far as the driver.

Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    PrinterPath = "\\SERVER1\P1"
    PrinterDriver = "ntprint.inf driver name"
    WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection PrinterPath, PrinterDriver

You can see it specifies the driver name in the PrinterDriver line. It would ususally be something like "HP Laserjet 2600 " Just look how the driver is listed on the server.But maybe it looks at its cached driver version vs. the version on the server and gets the new one if it is available.

By the way i script eveything now makes it so much easier when new users come in and i dont have to map drives or connect printers.