power supply wiring

Thread: power supply wiring

power supply wiring

I have a micro-atx power supply that I took the case off. I did this so it will fit into a really small custom case. Where the power cord plugs into the power supply, it is 3-prong and with the case off you can see the wire leads going onto the power supply board. The 3rd prong wire lead is attached to a screw (i assume this is a ground). Will the power supply operate without this wire lead connected or grounded? This is the first time ive opened a power supply and i don't want to test it until I know for sure. I am assuming it won't work.
    Thanks for any help.

Yes the third prong is a ground. Will it work without it? Maybe, but I wouldn't recomend it! IT's grounded for a reason!!!! Don't mess with the grounding wire. Also I personally wounldn't run the power supply without some kind of case on it! What is this for anyway? If it's for a non-technical person I would say definately NOT. Too many stray fingers, etc... Especially if little kids might even POSSIBLY be around it. You'd be amazed at what some kids will do!
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Ok. I will take that into consideration. I have an old NES console that doesn't work and I was thinking about placing a machine in it. I know this mod has probably been done a lot but it looks cool enough and I have most of the parts laying around anyway. I will find a way to connect the ground if I do it. Do you still think I need a case for the PSU.

Originally posted by scott
    Ok. I will take that into consideration Do you still think I need a case for the PSU.
    Yes to both,you do need an earth[ground] for safetys sake and yes you should put the power supply within a case of its own as the prevelence to open the case for an upgrade would leave a mains supply open to touch.

Thanks for the help. Looks like I have my answers.