cmdninst has caused an error in kernel32.dll

Thread: cmdninst has caused an error in kernel32.dll

Hi,

I am trying to reinstall windows ME over the top of itself. When it gets to the part where it states that it is setting up hardware and any plug and play devices, the hard drive gets thrashed for a few seconds and then I receive the following error:

I have tried microsofts resolution found at http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;277994

but this has not rectified my problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Paul

Ugh. I've never really had much luck in overinstalling any 9x/ME OSes. Are you sure that's the best way to resolve your current problem?

--Stryfe
    Please insert volume 'BRAIN' and press any key to continue.

/me often wonders why there isn't a minimum IQ requirement to use a computer.

The system has alot of apps on that I don't have installation cd's for. I want to try and reinstall the O/S over the top without losing any apps and without having to format and reinstall.

Uhm...As far as I know, overinstalling will still effectively wipe the registry, and while all your programs will still be on the HD, they probably won't function too well, especially if they depend on certain keys in the registry.

--Stryfe
    Please insert volume 'BRAIN' and press any key to continue.

/me often wonders why there isn't a minimum IQ requirement to use a computer.

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    Overinstalling will not wipe the registry. It should enable you to still run your programs.
    You might try removing your add in cards (modem, sound) and try the re-install. Or else try disabling programs from starting using msconfig. Then reinstall and re-enable each program.

I have already tried removing all hardware not necessary to boot the machine, but the problem is still there. I will disable all programs from starting up in msconfig and then see how it goes.

Cheers

Paul

You should also try checking your ram - use docmem from www.simmtester.com - it creates a boot disk which runs the checker.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I tried disabling programs from starting up, but it hasn't changed anything. I will test the memory and see how things go.

Thanks

Paul

Hi,

I tried replacing the memory, but the problem is still there. I think I'm going to have to format after all!!

Cheers

Paul