The Problem with E-Machines
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Problem with E-Machines

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar

The Problem with E-Machines

Many of you here have worked on eMachines.

Indeed, their reputation precedes them quite well.

I've not worked on one, but can anyone spell out for me what KINDS of problems they often present?

For instance, I've heard the P/S is notoriously underpowered and gives out early.

What say you?

m
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Unreliable and underwatted power supplies, poor room for expansion, inferior quality optical drives, cheap hard drives, stupid name, scam internet access contracts, poor warranty service, TONS of useless software pre-installed. I'm sure there's more, but my brain hurts.

I was given a brand new emachines etower 433. Oddly enough, i have never had any problems with this machine. Has ran fine now every day for about 4 years now. It is not my main computer, and in no way am i depending on it to run, it just does. Came with 98se, 4.3 gig hd. Now i have 256 megs of Ram and 20 gig hd, running Win2kPro. I even added a cd-burner thinking the psu would die for sure.
    Just my personal experience though.

Cheap components (friends emachine's onboard sound went out) P/S cheaply made and when it does blow out it doesn't take a standard ATX one, you have to get one from them. Cheap optical drives, Cheap HD, Cheap Memory, No upgradeability.
    Its all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then its just fun in the dark.

3 out of 2 people can't count.

Evertek pushes a lot of refurbs. 's why I asked...
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Have I worked on a emachine ?????

Well ya I have but I should warn you . It was only to disassemble and junk it
    MWAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

The shorter list is what's good in 'em : Nothing
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

I have two eMachine Celeron 566's that I use for our network backup machines. They run 24/7/365 with Windows 2000, SCSI controllers and external HP DAT jukebox drives ... and they never let me down. EVER.

Personally I think they're no better or worse than any other PC. You buy the low end of the product line you get the low end. You buy the better box and you get better stuff.

About the only thing I can add is kind of a reply to those who have them and run them with good luck.... just like everyone makes mistakes sometimes.... everyone gets lucky sometimes too....

Seriuosly though... The biggest problem with e-machines is they are basically disposable computers. You use it till it dies. If you are lucky the hd servives and you can recover your stuff and buy a new one. Unfortunately a lot of other companies are now going with this idea.
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

for me power supply and proprietary case design is the biggest problem.

people here say they use cheap components. . . . I wonder how many have actually looked inside an e-machine to see that most of their mobos are custom ASUS OEMs? and the hard drives I've come across have been WD, SEAGATE, MAXTOR, and SAMSUNG (which just recently has been getting excellent reviews for their hard drives) Optical drives I've seen were samsung, Liteon etc. (that's far from crap people)

Power supply is often an issue in these. reliability is no better or worse than most, but when they go you have to get one of those special small ones or be prepared to swap into another case, in which case you may loose one or more USB ports (because of the custom front mounting) game port (same reason) and optical drives (if they have crazy custom shaped bezels)

but I've bought and reconfigured several of those from evertek and compgeeks at various times and they have setup and run just fine.

but as shard said, they are more or less disposable, but really what isn't anymore these days. compaq and dell are using proprietary power supplies so if they go it's cheaper to replace the board and power supply with standard than it is to get a replacement. unless you build it yourself, buy from mom and pop, or pay out the nose for something from alienware or vodoo computers, most everything is disposable anymore.
    (though I really like ABS computers - cheap and industry standard quality components)
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

ABS?
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Just ware gloves when opening up the case... or just have some plasters handy... I think they make the cases from old razor blades...
    Regards Steve...

(]TSS[)Pendragon

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    I have no problem with e-machines. I love e-machines. I hope they sell 100 million e-machines. I make tons of money fixing e-machines.

I never had a problem with an Emachine, other than not being able to upgrade the video :-/