CD-RW reliability?

Thread: CD-RW reliability?

CD-RW reliability?

Hi,

I decided to get a Sony camera that records to mini CD-RWs, I am wondering how reliable CD-RWs are? Most claim to be re-writable 1000 times but can you start loosing data after a certain number of times?

Who makes the most reliable mini CD-RW discs?

Thanks

Often CDRW makers will put their 'favorites' on the side of the box or in the instructions manual. You should check this list to find out what kind of disks your CDRW is made to work with.

Orangeman

Bouncy Bouncy

Originally posted by Orangeman
    Often CDRW makers will put their 'favorites' on the side of the box or in the instructions manual. You should check this list to find out what kind of disks your CDRW is made to work with.

Orangeman

Obviously Sony only recommends their CDs for their cameras but they are very expensive, only 156MB and they say only 300 uses.

Other brands are cheaper, 210MB and rated at 1000 uses. I would prefer to get cheaper and higher capacity ones than Sony's.

You're right about that! Sony is OUTRAGEOUS when it comes to accessory prices. I once purchased a $30.00 walk-man and they wanted $26.00 for the battery adapter. As luck would have it, a universal adapter didn't work. Sony also protects its products by being proprietary as hell.

I have a Sony CDRW, a 49x40x12x that I got this year. It doesn't use mini-disks so you're on your own there but I am using memorex cdr's and Philips cdrw's and have had no problem.

Good LUck,
    Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

Originally posted by Orangeman
    You're right about that! Sony is OUTRAGEOUS when it comes to accessory prices. I once purchased a $30.00 walk-man and they wanted $26.00 for the battery adapter. As luck would have it, a universal adapter didn't work. Sony also protects its products by being proprietary as hell.

I have a Sony CDRW, a 49x40x12x that I got this year. It doesn't use mini-disks so you're on your own there but I am using memorex cdr's and Philips cdrw's and have had no problem.

Good LUck,
    Orangeman
    They sell memorex mini cdrws at a store near here, I guess these are good quality and relaible?

I'd go for it but I'd also wait until someone else posts a different answer. The purpose of these boards is to give you a consensus of opinion and experience.

Sift through the information and see what you come up with.

BTW, when you do by your CD's don't be like me and grab the wrong speed. Make sure if you are buying CDR's that if your CDRW says 40x, you are buying 40x CDRW discs, not 36 or 32.

Good Luck,
    Orangeman
    Last edited by Orangeman; June 18th, 2003 at 04:34 PM.
    Bouncy Bouncy

I didn't use CD-RW in my sony. 200 blank Ritek Mini CDs for about $85 was my reason. I never had a problem with them and now I've still got an offline archive of every picture I ever took with the camera.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

CD RW is 'supposedly good' for 1000 times .... Ha-ha-ha-ha ! Whoever came up with that was ... This theory comes from the idea that the calibration area on any cdr can accomodate 1000 powerups & test burns ... maybe in ideal conditions they can .. but I don't think 'usage' bears that out ... If you get 100 I think you've done good !

Personally I wouldn't want a camera that recorded to mini disk what's wrong with CF ??? & why do I want all those moving (& thus breakable) bits in a camera ...

The only reason for making this choice that I can rationalise is that you don't have a pc & so can't easily make permanent copies (with a cdr at $0.50 'retail' a go !!)... but you are a WD member so you have at least one PC maybe more ?

As always & especially here ! ... confus-ed ...

I would have gotten a camera that reocrds to memory cards (SD cards though, CF is old and none of my devices use that anymore), but none of the ones with cards did what I want except for sonys with memory sticks. I obvisouly didn't want a camera that uses memory that costs twice the price of standard memory and that doesn't work in anything but the camera.

The only other camera that did what I wanted (high quality video as well as high quality photos) and didnt use sony's stupid sticks was the one that uses CDs.

I have read reviews and one review apparently gave the camera a good beating while it was burning and he didn't loose a single image.