Which DVD-R/W recorder is “better”

Thread: Which DVD-R/W recorder is “better”

Which DVD-R/W recorder is “better”

Toshiba DVD-R/RW, DVD-RAM, SD-R5002

Pioneer A05 / 105

PANASONIC SW-9571-CYY

Any experience with these three models? Which is the better product? I notice the other two try to imitate (or say “like the Pioneer A05 / 105”). Which one would you recommend in investing in?

Will there be dvd-9 burning technology available or is this only possible with “factory pressed” procedure?
    Last edited by PacMan; May 20th, 2003 at 02:07 PM.

Registered User FatalException0E's Avatar
    Sony makes a drive that handles DVD-R/RW as well as DVD+RW, and it only costs a little more than either-or drives (like by $30 difference) I'd recomend it.
    Contents: One signature
    || |||| | |||| |||

Originally posted by FatalException0E
    Sony makes a drive that handles DVD-R/RW as well as DVD+RW, and it only costs a little more than either-or drives (like by $30 difference) I'd recomend it.
    Yeah, I looked into that. I can get these dvd-rw drives for around $160-75. The Sony dvd-/+rw is about $300. I figured I would use DVD-R/Ws more than +. The – are cheaper as well.

I personally own a Pioneer DVR-104. It is a - drive and it has worked perfect for me minus a firmware issue that needed to be straightened out.

I use Nero, DVD X Copy Xpress and Ghost 2003 with no issues.

Just my $.02.

Originally posted by FatalException0E
    No they don't ! Lite-on make 'em & sony stick a badge on & charge you $30 more !!!!

Will there be dvd-9 burning technology available or is this only possible with “factory pressed” procedure?

Nope its available for dvd+rw drives but there's some technical 'mumbo jumbo' about dvd-rw that stops you so you are limited with them to 1/2 size (So with all that bits/bytes/megabytes conversion nonesense simply it means 4.3 gig instead of nearly 8 !) ... See Here for a 'better' explanation !

As to the general which is best question .... What do you want to do with it ? Data or something else ...?

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar
    Here's a similar question:

Am I wrong in thinking that these 4x DVD writers are INCREDIBLY slow? I've never tried one, but I can't imagine burning 4 gigabytes on a 4x CDRW. It would take hours.

I did burn some data onto an Apple DVD drive and that was terribly, terribly slow.
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Originally posted by The Computer Valet
    Here's a similar question:

Am I wrong in thinking that these 4x DVD writers are INCREDIBLY slow? I've never tried one, but I can't imagine burning 4 gigabytes on a 4x CDRW. It would take hours.

I did burn some data onto an Apple DVD drive and that was terribly, terribly slow.
    It takes about 40 minutes to burn a DVD with my 4x Sony drive. I imagine they burn somewhere around 7 times more data per burn cycle than CD-R drives. That's just a guess tho...
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

...Just so you know, when you see "x" in a DVD burning speed, it really means 1.38 megabytes per second. So 4x is really 4 times 1.38MB/s, or 5.52MB/s. 4x is the top writing speed of current DVD recording technology....
    CD multipliers are based on 150 kb/s ... so a 50x CD =7500kb/s = 7.5 mb/s ('ish' ...allowing for powers of 2 !)