Can't Format XP Partition or delete a folder

Thread: Can't Format XP Partition or delete a folder

Can't Format XP Partition or delete a folder

After SP1 messed up my XP and a folder would not delete and I got A BSOD and Windows kept freezing like ME I used my Vendor Restore CD to reinstall Windows, selecting the quick format option. After three format and installs the folder I cannot delete is still there, it installs each time with the same name and it contains folders with folders in that and says cannot find path to a certain file. I have tried everything to try and delete it, reboot, rename. You can move it around but not delete it. The very last folers contain "IE5 content" - strange as XP uses IE6!

A tech at the place I bought my PC agreed that the so called format on the recover CDs might not be a format and I suspect it is probably just a posh erase. I have tried formatting using both the GUI and CMD and the computer won't let me format.

QUESTION 1 - what is wrong?
    QUESTION 2 - how do I get FDISK to run from XP as surely that will let me do a thorough format!

Oh for good old DOS! After a bad day all round I am at the sling the computer at the TV stage and losing my cool which is rare for me these days. BTW I had my first ever XP BSOD after I put SP1 on and I have certainly not put it on since.

Help Please!
    Last edited by MorseLady; June 18th, 2003 at 04:21 PM.

OK you have two choices, grab an xp cd (not a restore version) and run the setup - it will get you to the blue screen where it allows you to create and delete partitions and then format them.... or go to www.maxtor.com and download powermax and use the zero fill utility.

IE5 content is a hidden folder with all your temp internet files you thought were deleted are stored. I regularly go through mine and delete the subfolders.

As to why it won't restore - very odd because it should format first!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Noo, I can restore Windows after the so called format but it is obviously not formatting properly. I did not think even a quick format on about 60GB of space would only take a minute or two but that's all it took before it started setup and the whole process is too fast even for a fast PC.

You say grab an XP CD OK I have a an upgrade XP Home CD I have already run and activated on my other PC or a 120 day trial XP PRO CD which came with the Server goodies MS sent me! But of course just to get to the blue setup screen I won't need to get as far as serial numbers and Activation then I can run the Vendor CD to instal Windows.

I hate these Vendor CDs which are fine for Novices but I wish they would give those of us with a bit more knowledge the Option of a proper Windows CD.

I will have a look at that link to Powermax first though. Thanks Noo.

You need

You can use Partition Magic to format the drive or run FDISK utility. You must be using NTFS file systems.

The other is as suggested and that is going to Maxtor and getting the program to wipe your hard drive back to factory settings. It is a timely procedure but when finished you have a new hard drive with nothing but zeros on every bit!

Sorry, I forgot to post that I have now sorted the problem by running the Vendor disk three more times and it has finally given me a clean install.

I could not use Maxtor because there seemed to be no option to clean just one drive of a partitoned disk.

I have bought Norton Internet Security 2003.

Thanks for your help.