@#$%&ing Linksys!

Thread: @#$%&ing Linksys!

Angry @#$%&ing Linksys!

I have(had) a Linksys Network Attached Storage device. Model EFG20. It never gave me problems until a few days ago.

I turned it off, and when I turned it back on, it never came back. It powers up, but there's no POST beep, and all the lights just come on solid and it sits there. It sat there overnight and nothing.
    I can't ping it, or do anything. I don't think it's the hard drive since I had recently run tests and it was OK and it does spin up and get ready to go. It runs a basic Linux and I think that may be hung.
    No video adapter or serial adapter, so I'm basically at a loss.

Linksys tech support was less than helpful. They keep wanting me to access it via my web browser or their software.
    HELO - can't even ping it. Not showing at all on my network. Even their software won't detect it.

Oh, and it's way out of warranty. They also want the original packing slip (oh yeah, like I have that after 3 years...)

Anyone know anything about these? Know of a repair place? I don't care about the data - I have backups. I just want it working again!
    Vote DrewmazTech for President!

"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

I don't have first hand experience with this thing so pardon me if this sounds like a stoopid question But can you remove the hard drive(s) and see if that helps it. The model I've seen looks like you can remove the hdd(s)

I'm going on the theory that the web interface firmware is on a chip in the unit not the hdd, and that the hdd is stopping it from fully booting up.

it's a starting point at least.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

I opened it up and it's VERY similar to a laptop. Same type of memory any everything. I tried removing the hard drive and I get no problems, although it still doesn't boot all the way.

I removed the memory for S&G's and I got the "no memory" POST alert.

"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

...took me a couple seconds to decode the S&G reference, must be I need more coffee

what about a hardware or physical way of resetting the device back to factory defaults? i know some linksys products that have a small reset switch recessed in the back of the unit somewhere.

'cuz like you said you've got a backup, right.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

Yeah, tried the reset button. Even went so far as to remove the CMOS battery from inside it and let it sit for a long time.

I think it's FUBAR.

If I am thinking about the right unit the board is a variant of a laptop using ab embedded 486 chip. The problem with removing the battery is it does not always work to bring the memory voltage down to zero. This is why most boards have a clear cmos jumper try to loacate the jumper if you can not find the jumper then you can try the following:

remove battery and power from the unit.
    disconect from the network
    bridge both poles of the battery slot with something conductive like a jumper wire leave it for 10 to 15 seconds

remove jumper wire
    replace battery
    reconnect it to the network
    plug in power supply

Also while you are in the get the dust out of the unit and look at the tops of the capacitors for signs of leakage (bulging or goopy with some type of fluid)

Thumbs down I've got the same issue!

Did you ever get it fixed? I too have the POS EFG20 and have never had it run reliably! and I've got some data on there that I need! I also have my receipt, but that doesn't matter...linksys had a 3 yrs warranty and has decided now that it is only 1 yr?

If you got it to work, I'd love some advice.....