linksys wrt54g drops connection frequently
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: linksys wrt54g drops connection frequently

Unhappy linksys wpc54g drops connection frequently

I'm using a linksys wrt54g router and a linksys wpc54g pc-card for my wireless network. Every 5 minutes I get a message stating that "one or more wireless networks are available" and my connection drops. I click on the message box and choose my network and the network is connected again. How do I keep the network connection from disconnecting.

I use 64 bit WEP, Infrastructure network type, transfer rate is set to auto, and am running winxp home.
    Last edited by Syk07; June 21st, 2003 at 06:57 PM.
    "Life is hard...But its harder if you're stupid!"
    John Wayne

Well, standard rules apply here. Update you drivers for the NIC and look into updating the firmware of the router.

I would also go to the properties of the NIC from the device manager and disable the setting on the Power Management tab that says 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'

Also have a look at this eye-opening article that talks about sources of RF interference, most notably 2.4 Ghz cordless phones that are harmfull to a Wireless Network.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

Lightbulb

Holy Cr@p! I didn't even think about that, I'll try that out now!
    Thanx
    John Wayne

Unhappy

Just checked out the power save thingy and it was allready on disabled, I cutoff the cordless phone. (it just so happened to be set on top of the router and of course it was also 2.4ghz - DOH!) The firmware for the router and card is up to date. I'll give this a try.
    John Wayne

Okay, it still drops the connection. To be more specific, the PC CARD (WPC54G) drops the connection between the PC and the router (WRT54G). I'm at my wits end! Anybody?
    John Wayne

Oh here we go then, did a google search on that error and it seems like you might have a neighbor with a Wireless Network

How about this.

Or look into changing the channel that the AP is using from the default to something different.

And maybe you need to change your SSID from the default to something different, because the neighbor's might be the default.

Another article concerning that error here

I don't really have experience with overlapping wireless networks so maybe someone else here can help out too.
    Last edited by craigmodius; June 21st, 2003 at 11:17 PM.

All this advice has been really helpfull. I have to admit though, that I have commited an unthinkable act...(whispering) I went to another tech website - Broadbandreports.com shhhh!
    Anyway, there was some other poor slob who had a similar problem and it was suggested to try the following:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...wlan~mode=flat
    This worked like a champ!
    please keep this solution posted because I'm sure I'm not the only person who has or will encounter this problem!
    John Wayne

Originally posted by Syk07
    All this advice has been really helpfull. I have to admit though, that I have commited an unthinkable act...(whispering) I went to another tech website - Broadbandreports.com shhhh!
    No man, shout it LOUD ... I think I can speak for most here & say that we are the first to admit that there are always other forums that have better detail than here ... this is a 'general computing forum' there aren't enough folks with specific skills to justify any other description which is why these 'specific' forums exist ...

Sometimes the best we can do is point you somewhere else ... I know 'we' all love to think we have every answer, but we don't !! Not by a long way ...

(I'm glad you sussed it ... craigmodius took you through everything I would have suggested ... though you might note he was busy (at a guess) 'googling with experience' to find his suggestions )

Yeah, we're not afraid of other boards here. (One of those links I posted was another board. )

The one thing I might note is that if I'm reading your link on that other board correctly, it seems like a workaround rather than a fix to the problem. But sometimes the workaround angle is the best one.

Either way, glad to hear that it's fixed.
    Last edited by craigmodius; June 22nd, 2003 at 09:41 AM.

Yep credit where credit is due!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

It's most definetly a work around. I think Microsoft should come up with some sort of fix for this 'cause launching a .bat everytime I wan't to stay online gets kind of old after awhile. But in the mean time I'm just happy to get this stuff working.
    John Wayne

You tried emailing microsoft?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Cool

On it!
    John Wayne

Originally posted by Syk07
    On it!
    Shouldn't that be as opposed to ? ... its a 'known' issue ... but 'knowing a bit more' can't hurt !

Sky07 have you tried this from the one link I posted?

roaming issue
    This is how u fix it
    Windows XP Pro

Open Wireless Network Connection Status
    Under "General", click "Properties"
    Then, the middle tab, "Wireless Networks"
    Then, "Advanced"
    UNCHECK the last item "Automatically Connect to Non-Preferred Networks"

Make sure u have your network (SSID) under "preferred networks"
    It just seems like a neighbor has a WLAN setup and you're system is finding it and trying to roam over to it, or is confused as to which WLAN it's supposed to be on.

And if that's the case once you've done the above step I would look at securing your wireless network

Even if you ignore the "Set high connection speed" step as described in the article you're still going to be taking some good measures to keep out your neighbor.

edit: and I don't know that you can "place your access points outside your firewall" as the AP *is*, or at least can be, the firewall

just some food for thought while your waiting for microsoft
    Last edited by craigmodius; June 24th, 2003 at 06:01 AM.