Should We Increase Funding for Protection Against Doomsday Asteroids?

View Poll Results: Should We Spend More Money to Protect Ourselves Against Killer Asteroids?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, We Need to do Everything We Can to Defend Ourselves

5 21.74%
  • No, Don't Bother, Its Just a Waste of Money

7 30.43%
  • Yes, But We have to Learn How to Live Underground or Populate the Moon

5 21.74%
  • We have to Hire Space Aliens to Protect Us

6 26.09%

Thread: Should We Increase Funding for Protection Against Doomsday Asteroids?

Should We Increase Funding for Protection Against Doomsday Asteroids?

Hey Gang,

This poll was inspired by this story:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...asteroids.html
    Bouncy Bouncy

not convinced at all... personally im far more concerned about being nuked by irritated 3rd world countries who are starving from highly highly dubious trade laws...

or maybe the next country on bushes hit list :/
    "they're funny things, accidents. you never have them untill you're having them" - Winnie The Pooh

I think it definately is worth looking into. It will happen sooner or later and to be prepared for it would be a good idea, don't you think?
    I dont feel tardy...

Chat Moderator Great White North's Avatar
    I am not concerned with astroids I beat it years ago on my Atari and at The Video Arcade
    Igloos for sale!! Buy them today keep the cold away!

Not all that concerned about something like that. I'm more worried about slipping in the tub and smacking my head.

If they do fund something like that, I hope funding goes towards calculating where it may impact and evacuation plans.
    Vote DrewmazTech for President!

"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Originally posted by Six Eyed Smily
    not convinced at all... personally im far more concerned about being nuked by irritated 3rd world countries who are starving from highly highly dubious trade laws...
    :/
    Whddya mean? Don't we export all the high-tech jobs to those third world countries? I know for a fact that Agere shipped all of their Call Center/Helpdesk support off to India.

As for the evacuation plan idea, where would you evac to? If the impact is big enough, it would no longer matter...
    It is too late to fix America via the Republicans or Democrats, and too early to start shooting the bastards.

Lex et Libertas -- Semper Vigilo, Paratus, et Fidelis

WOTPP Light Air Support Wing

I don't suppose the dinosaurs were any too bothered either ! ... but it killed them ...

But I do heartily agree with Six Eyed Smily ... George Jnr presents a much more 'imminent' threat

Anyway the 'threat' (of asteroid collision) may be overstated Study reduces risks of asteroid impact ... having said that there's some mighty big holes on the planet caused by them ... like The gulf of mexico ... but then again how many illegal immigrants has that 'hole' saved the USA ?!!!

Originally posted by drewmaztech
    Not all that concerned about something like that. I'm more worried about slipping in the tub and smacking my head.

If they do fund something like that, I hope funding goes towards calculating where it may impact and evacuation plans.
    Actually,, There is a REAL threat of mass destruction on a world level.
    Approx 2 months ago,,, here in the chicagoland area.
    We had a impact from a SMALL space rock,, It exploded in the lower atmosphere,, And scattered over several sq miles.
    Damaged several buildings,,several cars,, and 2 people had minor injuries,, As Well as several Not So Brite people who were burned Picking up HOT peices.. And the FLASH from the explosion was seen over several hundred sq miles.

Should we Spend on Stopping impacts? YES,, Should we spend more on tracking and discovery of potential objects threatening impact YES..
    Should we spend on Shelters?? NO~!!!!
    Since the planet killers are about the same as Nuke attacks,,, These contingancys are already somewhat in place in place.

Most comets, astriods ect, are found by amatures,, Not the world science community..
    Now i dont know bout you guys,, BUT,, Trusting some person sitting in his back yard Sippin on a cold beer at 3 am to warn us of an event of this nature Kinda scares me~!!

Especially after Friday nites Party Here,, When I Saw a unicorn Peeing In My Yard

trout

Banned
    Originally posted by Trout
    Now i dont know bout you guys,, BUT,, Trusting some person sitting in his back yard Sippin on a cold beer at 3 am to warn us of an event of this nature Kinda scares me~!!

Hows abouts someones on their porch with the dogs?

Originally posted by Cleetus
    Hows abouts someones on their porch with the dogs?

hahaha,,, that porch held up by cinder blocks??
    perhaps a tireless chevy pickup on the lot standing on milk crates?
    BTW,, There a Couch on that there porch? just curious lol

Originally posted by Trout
    Especially after Friday nites Party Here,, When I Saw a unicorn Peeing In My Yard

trout
    You were on acid weren't you...

""When I Saw a unicorn Peeing In My Yard ....

trout

You have seen a UFO, haven't you...What was it like?
    Bouncy Bouncy

Originally posted by Orangeman
    ""When I Saw a unicorn Peeing In My Yard ....

trout

You have seen a UFO, haven't you...What was it like?
    Thats between ME and my doctor lol

by trade laws i meant the laws that make it very easy and cheap for western countries to export to 3rd world countries, but much more difficult the other way round.

while in theory these laws are drawn up fairly, by representives from each country concerned, in fact what happens is that western countries send a small tribe of very highly trained and expensive lawyers, and 3rd world countries send one poor sod who doesnt really stand a chance.

but anyway, a small space rock that mildly injures as many as two people (not counting those people so terminally and suicially stupid as to go and try to pick it up after it landed...) is hardly going to convice my to give some guy with a big telescope my savings...

oh and my heart does bleed for the slightly scratched cars as well....

im not debating that there is a possiblity, but i think that the probablitity has been greatly exagerated by the scientists that want more funding
    "they're funny things, accidents. you never have them untill you're having them" - Winnie The Pooh