How should I install W2k server

Thread: How should I install W2k server

How should I install W2k server

Have a computer that has XP installed, would like to install W2K server. Should I reformat the disk? Install over XP? Install NT4 then the W2K server?
    Dyslexics of the world..UNTIE!

Open cdrom, drop 2k server cd in, boot.... when it gets to the partition/format screen, delete the xp partition (and others as appropriate) recreate and format...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

Re: How should I install W2k server

Originally posted by amyb
    Have a computer that has XP installed, would like to install W2K server. Should I reformat the disk? Install over XP? Install NT4 then the W2K server?
    Should I reformat the disk - Yes

Install over XP? - If you are talking about upgrade, its not possible to go winXP to 2k server.

Install NT4 then the W2K server? - Upgrades usually have some type of "bug" in them, so i advise very much AGAINST upgrades
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

server install?

format format format.. Do what Noo said.

be aware, server looks like 2k pro, but behaves differently.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Originally posted by Matridom
    server install?

format format format.. Do what Noo said.

be aware, server looks like 2k pro, but behaves differently.
    Ok, thanks for the advice. What do you mean, "behaves differently"? Does it act the same as the NT server?

NTFS

NT4 does not have the same features in NTFS that Win 2k does if you upgrade from NT 4 you will loose some functionality as far as file access this is "unwise" if you are not forced by other restrictions such as network down time or software issues, always do a clean install.

If I am understanding you correctly you are not doing this for a network that already exists? I assume you are experimenting. I would get a book or two on win 2k server and plan out your network before you start installing.

And
    PS the wizards don't always work so knowing your way around the MMC and command line instructions will help.

Do not bee afraid

Do not bee afraid... of 2000 Server. Its the best thing i know to build a domain infrastructure, and undoubtly the only MS product that has no valid rival, in what concerns to connect organize and control multiple ressources - the case wen the budget is low...

I agree with everything in this discussion: do not spoil 2000 Server fiability with an upgraded system: just do a clean instalation.

The system acts as any other 2000 Pro, with some diferences: you can do a lot more!

Anyway, if what you are looking for is perfomance for games, get your *** out of the horse: the system is mutch more heavyer to hardware ressources than a workstation OS. It would take you some serious learning to 'amputate', cut the parts of the system that you would't need, in order to make it a game station....

But if you are looking for a SERVER, a machine that share ressources, look no further: only in machines that do very specific tasks (DNS, DATABASES, ETC) other manufacters like Unix and Novell, for example, make a better job.

Better only... Windows 2000 Advanced Server!

Greetings from the country of Sun
    Mild 28º

http://www.painformatica.pt.to

w2K server

This will be an replacement for a NT server we have. Yes, it will do file sharing plus run Exchange (replace the antiquated Schedule Plus that we have).

Talking from oldies to exchange..

... just a tip: there is a migration tool for the mailboxes of other programs/versions in Aditional Tools in the cd (some standart editions doest have it).

Good Luck!

Re: NTFS

Originally posted by Tacit_k
    NT4 does not have the same features in NTFS that Win 2k does if you upgrade from NT 4 you will loose some functionality as far as file access this is "unwise" if you are not forced by other restrictions such as network down time or software issues, always do a clean install.
    From what I recall, once 2000 is on the machine NTFS is updated no matter what and there will be no loss of functionality. In order for NT to read the new NTFS you need sp5 or 6...

I like upgrading from NT4. Is a clean install a better way to create a clean os? Sure, but I don't see a that many companies replacing dual pIII 500 boxes running NT4 with brand new 2000 boxes just so WINS & DNS will run better. Nor do I see 5 user offices running SBS throwing away a Proliant 1600 and perfectly working domain/email in order to do a clean install. In the field you'll need to know how to troubleshoot. If this is the first time you're installing, clean might be the way to go. On the other hand, I can look back on the hours of racking my brain and booting from those damn NT4 floppies over and over and know that I learned something. (mostly that floppies suck but other stuff too )

The quickest or even smartest routes often lack the thing you need the most, a challenge and the benefit of experience.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Wink

You are a poet man! That was beautifull!

I love the Sun!