Video drivers Dell XPi cd

Thread: Video drivers Dell XPi cd

Video drivers Dell XPi cd

I just got a used Dell XPi CD laptop on Ebay. It has been upgraded from Windows 95 to Windows ME. As a result it has only 16 colors available with the video drivers in Windows ME. I have tried to load the drivers from Dell for this system but they only work for Windows 95. Can anyone tell me what I can do. I am not real good technically but have downloaded and installed drivers on my desktop many times. I just don't know where to look for this one.

OK, you said downloaded and installed to your desktop, this sounds to me like you have just downloaded the file from dell but have not actually installed it.

Could you explain what you have done exactly? The 95 driver may work fine in ME.

Was it this driver you downloaded? Did you create the diskettes as it said on the page?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yes this is the file I downloaded to my desk top then copied it to the floppy disk but all I get is an MS DOS screen that I am unable to do anything from. If I use the MS DOS prompt all I get is the same stuff with no way to install it. Unless I am missing something. The instructions they give are totallly vague to say the least.

OK, did you double click the file first and then copy the resulting unpacked files to the floppy - or did you just copy the exe file?

If you double clicked the file and copied the unpacked files to a floppy the next bit is to install it.

Go to device manager - start, settings, control panel, system.

Click on the + next to display adapter to expand the branch

Click on what is probably called a pci vga adapter

Click the properties button at the bottom

On the new window click the driver tab and click update driver

Depending on which wizard you get you can either browse to the floppy diskette or you click have disk.

If you click have disk the window will show you neomagic adapter and you select that and click next. You should be able to follow the wizard from there.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."