Windows seeing modem, but not ISP SW

Thread: Windows seeing modem, but not ISP SW

Windows seeing modem, but not ISP SW

I was troubleshooting a modem the other day over the phone and ran into a problem I haven't seen before. Windows was detecting a modem and from modem properties I could run the diagnostics test and it responded back fine, so windows is able to communicate with the modem; so far it doesn’t seem like there is a fault with the modem as to why her AOL was not detecting it. I wanted to do another test and I was going to test her modem with hyper terminal, but it wasn’t detecting the modem as well, so I thought that was kind of weird. I reinstalled the driver for the modem and ports and still the same thing. I went and ran scanreg and restored a backed up copy of the registry prior to when the issue began, but still the same thing. The customer is using windows 98. The only thing I can think to do from here is restore the system, but I would like to avoid doing this if anybody knows of a fix for this. Thanks in advance for any help.

Check for spyware or deleted malware.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

... & the other old chestnut ... try adding/removing DUN.

I had a case like this only it was xp and aol8.0. The modem was setting up as a virtual com port. it was calling it com12 and aol wouldnt' detect that. Is it a winmodem and using some bizarre address? With 98 don't just look at what it calls the com port actually check the adress it's using. It seems to me I had trouble with some modems that CLAIMED to be com3 but had an ADDRESS of 0900 or some such. Both cases acted just like that. If you have a local dial up that you can set up manually just to test if you can connect...

Also what error are you getting?

No dial tone?
    cant' find modem?
    Port already open?
    modem not responding?
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Thanks for all the responses so far. I've checked for spyware and viruses also and I didn't find any on the system. I'll check removing DUN and see if that will work. In modem properties I believe the modem was installed on com3, but I'm not sure of the address, I'll go ahead and check that out. The error the EU gets is when trying to connect through AOL she receives a message that the modem is not detected. When bringing up hyper terminal, she gets a message about hyper terminal did not detect a modem and brings up an installation wizard to install a modem.

have her test the modem again and look at the reported address.... not the COM but the actual address. Also check in device manager under resources.... Check that they match too... I don't know about hyperterminal but I have a feeling (and vaguely remember ) that it can only detect actual com ports not virtual ones. IF it does have a virtual port that could be trouble. Sometimes the software will fix the problem and sometime you have to swap slots till it behaves. or maybe disable an on board serial if she has two listed. I've also seen some programs have trouble if a modem uses an unusual irq.

Good luck and let us know what you find
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

modem problems

What brand of modem?

is it considered a winmodem that uses an enumerator program/driver?

I've had similar problems installing HCF modems if you manually select the driver forget it it will list in windows but not work because the enumerator is not installed properly.

make sure you have the driver on a cd or diskette and have it find the driver.

It should install the enumerator first then after reboot will find the actual hardware.

Good luck

Lightbulb Interesting...

I'm having the same issue with a Compaq Presario. My next step is to use an actual External USR Modem (via the COM port). If internal, check the BIOS for PCI or COM Port settings (PnP OS turned off, etc.). Although, I've been reading other forums saying an upgrade to XP requires you REMOVE the modem first (if applicable). Upgrade to XP and Reinstall the modem with the Reference Drivers.

Hope that helps,

Spawncho

"I am a rough-looking, roving soldier of the sea. I am cocky, self-centered, overbearing, and I do not know the meaning of fear... FOR I AM FEAR ITSELF!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by hermankamp
    What brand of modem?

is it considered a winmodem that uses an enumerator program/driver?

I've had similar problems installing HCF modems if you manually select the driver forget it it will list in windows but not work because the enumerator is not installed properly.

make sure you have the driver on a cd or diskette and have it find the driver.

It should install the enumerator first then after reboot will find the actual hardware.

Good luck