Documentation

Thread: Documentation

Documentation

My boss wants me to put together documentation of a lot of the things I do such as workstation setups, program installs, hardware installs, etc. I think it's retarded, as any documentation I would make would be obsolete in a few months, but he keeps nagging me. There are also a lot of subtleties in what I do that you can't really put on paper (I think IT is part art and part science).

Do you guys have any advice on how to document things without going completely friggin nuts? (Click NEXT, Click YES, click YES...so on...) Any proggies to help with this??

I didn't friggin major in TECHNICAL WRITING godamm!t

thanks guyz
    Do You Realize? - that you have the most beautiful face
    Do You Realize? - we're floating in space -
    Do You Realize? - that happiness makes you cry
    Do You Realize? - that everyone you know someday will die

DS,

A salutory tale for you.....

About 3 years ago I too was asked to write up all my duties in detail - (working as a Network Admin - 5 Novell servers, 180 workstations (various flavours of Windoze) 250 users plus the associated printers, plotters etc.

My a**hole boss used my report in a tender to "outsource" all IT...

Effectively I wrote myself out of a job.

John
    Now where did I leave my Lump Hammer?

"I thought I was wrong once" - "But I was wrong"

The previous tale happens, but not all the time.

I just started where Im at a month ago and we write procedures all the time. We write procedures for the users and what programs they use, we also write procedures for what we do. What to do in case something happens. How to redo something should it need redone.

In fact Im currently writing a procedure for all our staff on how to use interoffice email since we just got exchange up and running about 2 weeks ago.

My tips would be this. Think of the dumbest person you can think of. Take that person and put them in your position. Now how would they do what you do with only looking at the instructions you gave the?

When you do something routine. Take a notepad with you and write down every step you do...from the most minute to the largest and most confusing.

Do not drivel on about small issues that when gotten wrong do not foul the whole thing up. But go into detail on major steps that require exactness and preciseness.

That all I got now
    So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

I hear ya DS.

My advice would be ''steal it''. If it's not nailed down take it. Meaning that if you have to write something up someone else has documented how to do it on the web, on the mskb, in the help files of the needed software, or the software manufacturer's site etc.

Copy, paste, modify it to suit your needs. Respect the copyright laws on the site, of course, but many times you'll find that stuff out there available for free to reproduce as long as it's not for profit.

If you are documenting for the end user for support enhancement reasons then, as necrometal points out, put yourself in their shoes. "this is how you check your email" "this is how you fix printer lockups" etc.

However, if you are documenting wkstn setups and netadmin stuff and software installs, then I would take the opposite position of necrometal, and say to assume you're writing this for a fellow experienced tech who works for another company or something. Leave out key things.

If you're documentation is too verbose on admin stuff then you could very well write yourself out of a job. Why should you tell an end Luser how to install windows? or how to setup a router? Just document your company's particular setup and issues around it. ''When windows is installed then key in these domain and tcp/ip settings'' ''When the wireless network is down ping this internal IP address and make sure this SSID is setup'' etc.

Approach the issue with the mindset of, "If I went on vacation for a month and they had a temp in my place what would the tech need?" not "If I went on vacation for a month and they hired some random schmuck off the street with no PC experience in my place what would the schmuck need?"
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

Craig is right....

I write alot of documention for work. Everything from user level how to's up to SOP (Standard Operatiing Precedures) for management.

The How to's are very detailed with custom screen shots modified with notes and arrows.

the SOP's are broad and general.
    Example of SOP....

Network Printers

section1 - Reason
    a) This document is to Define why we use network printers and standards to purchasing them and configutaion.

section 2 - Purchasiing
    a) must have 10/100 NIC
    b)remote administation
    c) NT/2000 compatiable
    d)firmware upgradable
    e) laser, ## pages per min.

Section 3 - Cofiguration
    a)Printers are on sub net 192.168.xxx.xxx/16
    b) ip are set staticly
    c) print ques are centrally located on server [insert name]
    d) printers will be ccentrally located in large offices or in central areas of hallways.

------------------------------------

That defines your job as an admin without explaining in gross deatil which changes with technology, wht you do.

based on that your offices will have a standard, dependable soultion to printing needs and if you leave the company should be able to hire any general admin, drop him in and tell himn to read this.

based on this and current config of what you own and is setup, should be able to jump right into the job.

This provides both sides.. employee and employor both get a sence of security.

The How to's for users free up your time in training classes and little things to implement new technologies and reasearch new tech. to help keep your business competitive and competant. By implementing a new tech. you might be able to save the company money over a 5 year outlook, and possable secure you job even more and get a raise and bonus?!?

Also, doing both "How To's" and SOP's will allow your company to more easily get an ISO9000 cert. which is very useful in a global market and government contracting. (BIG BUCKS!!)

On top of that, the documention might show just HOW MUCH WORK YOU DO... and show we al deserve a raise!!!

I say do the doc's, get it overwith, and enjoy the future.
    You know you want a crabby patty!!