Wi98 & Compat. mode paging

Thread: Wi98 & Compat. mode paging

Wi98 & Compat. mode paging

Howdy,

I am working on a rather old pentium-1 system with Win 98 FE installed. The IDE controller is detected as "CMD PCI 0646 bus master PCI to IDE controller". However, both the PRI and SEC controllers are not working (yellow exclamation points).

Also, it is reported that this system is running in compatability mode on drive C.

Well, I understand this is mostly a real-mode driver issue, but I am not even loading my config.sys or autoexec.bat. I have just a few standard windows components loading in the startup.

any suggestions? I have tried reloading the drivers for the IDE controllers, and also forcing it to use the standard IDE driver instead of the CMD one, but no luck.

Thanks,

Al
    "It is very dark here. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Is this a laptop? If so which model, if not what motherboard is it? You need motherboard drivers probably.

You should also do a search in your registry for "noide" (without the quotes), if you find it, delete it and reboot.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Re: Wi98 & Compat. mode paging

Originally posted by jakkwb
    Howdy,

I am working on a rather old pentium-1 system with Win 98 FE installed. The IDE controller is detected as "CMD PCI 0646 bus master PCI to IDE controller". However, both the PRI and SEC controllers are not working (yellow exclamation points).

Also, it is reported that this system is running in compatability mode on drive C.

Well, I understand this is mostly a real-mode driver issue, but I am not even loading my config.sys or autoexec.bat. I have just a few standard windows components loading in the startup.

any suggestions? I have tried reloading the drivers for the IDE controllers, and also forcing it to use the standard IDE driver instead of the CMD one, but no luck.

Thanks,

Al
    The only times I have come across this is when I had a virus.

OK, removing the NOIDE did the trick. How in the crap did that get in there?

thanks for the fix,

Al
    "It is very dark here. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Cleetus put it there......
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Two reasons, one a virus can put it there, the other well windows just gets confused...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."