DVD-RAM Help PLEEEASSSEEE

Thread: DVD-RAM Help PLEEEASSSEEE

Unhappy DVD-RAM Help PLEEEASSSEEE

I have been offered a Panasonic LF-D201E DVD-RAM drive, but have a couple of questions and cannot find anything directly answering them on the internet. A lot of articles I have read about the drive says it will write to DVD-RAM, but a couple of articles I have read says it will write to DVD-R in Disc At Once mode, two questions then, does anyone know if it will write to DVD-R and does anyone know what Disc-At-Once is. My third question is does anyone know if it works with Win XP. Many Thanks.

Registered User FatalException0E's Avatar
    I never really liked DVD-RAM. It seemed to me like a hurried push to say 'we have a drive that writes to DVD', never mind how useful it is. Disk at once is just one method of writing the disk, and pretty much any drive out there supports it. I've never heard of a DVD-RAM being able to write to anything other than DVD-RAM disks, though. I'd be interested to hear of anything otherwise.
    Contents: One signature
    || |||| | |||| |||

I had a Hitachi SCSI DVD-RAM drive that I bought new but cheap last year. It sucked. It would error out when I tried to write to it and the software/drivers made windows 2000 crash all the time. I would "assume" that the newer drives would be more friendly but I wouldn't count on it.

As for compatibility, 2000 was supposed to support writing to it natively (no drivers or software needed). It didn't. When I installed the Hitachi drivers it would write but like I said, it would error out 90% of the time.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Welcome to Windrivers Jonj1611.

The question you have to ask yourself is "What will I use it for most?" If the answer is backing up your DVD movies or creating DVD's from your DV cam that will play in a normal DVD player, then this is probably not for you. If you want it so you can backup your data into good sized chunks, this will be great.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Talking Thanks

Hi, Just wanted to say thanks for all your help, it seems that Panasonic don't even support this drive anymore!! I will not be buying it and will be looking elsewhere, thanks for all your help, and thank God for forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Registered User FatalException0E's Avatar

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by Jonj1611
    Hi, Just wanted to say thanks for all your help, it seems that Panasonic don't even support this drive anymore!! ...
    Yes, DVD-RAM was kind of a flash in the pan....sort of the modern-day 8 track.
    Contents: One signature
    || |||| | |||| |||