Converting MP3 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Converting MP3

Originally posted by confus-ed
    Good gravy Raffaz .... Calm down ! ....

You are talking about the Absolute Time In Pre-Groove (ATIP) this is present on the outer of the disk ... (I may prove to be wrong again but this is only on one edge of the disk & is used as part of the calibration process) ... happy now ? See - Unrecorded disk tests ]

Your partly right here, the ATIP runs from beginning to end it is used by recorder to find areas on the blank disc. The calibration area is called the power calibration area (PCA) this is where the optimum power calibration (OPC) test is performed.

[i]As I said earlier pressed audio cd's adhere to red book cd standards .... most home burners adhere to Orange book cd standards & THIS is why 'audio only' cd equipment can't read 'burnt' CDRs because they are created to different tolerances & standards by their very nature ...
    ...you might be agreeing with me ...
    I am agreeing with you here im just saying what the actual difference is.

Mick

Okay ... now 'we are reading off the same hymn sheet' ... you telling me the atip goes all accross the disk ?? Why the f. is it called PRE then ? That's not a dig at you but at its naming ! I don't happen to have an electron microscope to check & see !

But we are agreed that different recording standards are at the root of 'audio' disk incompatability for CDRs & 'audio only' players ? Whether that's reflectivity or whatever ?

The only way to stop this argument is to post a pic of a cd groove.....

Unlike a prerecorded molded CD, the sub-strate of a CD-R disc does not contain aspiral track of pits and lands. Instead, itcontains a shallow spiral pregroove (0.5to 0.75 µ wide and 150 to 300 nm deep)that extends from the inside to the outside edge of the disc. Signals returned by shining a laser on the pregroove are used by a CD-Recorder for motor control, trackingand focus as well as for obtaining address and other encoded information. Rather than having the data molded into the sub-strate as series of pits and lands at the fac-tory, recording data to the CD-R disc is accomplished with a CD-Recorder which employs a high power laser to heat and alter the dye and the surface of the sub-strate in the pregroove to create a pattern of features that simulate the pits of a pre-recorded molded disc.
    From here
    http://216.239.33.100/search?q=cache:WAWCq7oBCOEJ:[url]www.4m-inc.ch/pdf/brochR.pdf+cdr+groove&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

This is a nice pic of the grooves on a cdr and a stamped cd.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

you telling me the atip goes all accross the disk ?? Why the f. is it called PRE then ? That's not a dig at you but at its naming ! I don't happen to have an electron microscope to check & see !

Neither do I, but it was simple enough to look up.....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by NooNoo
    Neither do I, but it was simple enough to look up.....
    Ha -ha ... very funny ... couldn't you have looked it up a page ago ? ... Like I said PRE -groove would imply something else ... stamped cd's don't have this ! ... & how are you stopping any arguement ? Its reslolved - yes there is a groove on CDRs only, & despite its stupid name it extends accross the whole disk ... so yourself !

BUT that wasn't the flipping point ! The point was why don't CDR's work always in 'audio only' devices .... I said it was because they are orange book not red book ... then we got sidetracked onto Grooves ...

(& that's not a very enlightening picture ! or have I gone blind ?)

Okay ... now 'we are reading off the same hymn sheet' ... you telling me the atip goes all accross the disk ?? Why the f. is it called PRE then ? That's not a dig at you but at its naming ! I don't happen to have an electron microscope to check & see !
    Its called a pre groove because it is pressed into the disc at the first stage, so it is done before anything else is added to the disc.

I believe that cd audio is burned in WAV format, but you don't have to convert them in able to burn them and play them on a CD player, simply open your burning app., select audio CD (I'm assuming you use Nero as well), and then simply drag the songs that you want to burn over. Nero (as well as many others I'm sure) will convert them as it burns the CD. It will save you a lot of time from manually converting them which I had to do on my old PC every time I wanted to burn a CD because it was too slow to convert them as it burned, resulting in a LOT of wasted CD's before I figured out the problem
    D O C

Originally posted by MegaHurtz
    I believe that cd audio is burned in WAV format,
    Cd audio is CDA format. WAV format is a digital format. MP3 is a compressed format.

Nero converts these formats into CDA so that it can be played on a standard music cd player.

BRING BACK THE 8 TRACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    W