Problem Sharing an ADSL Connection
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Problem Sharing an ADSL Connection

Problem Sharing an ADSL Connection

I am sitting with an IBM T30 laptop that my customer wishes to share the ADSL connection that is attached.

The service is BT's Business 500 Plug&Go (no fixed IP service.) The ADSL modem is an Intel Anypoint DSL Modem 3240 with the latest Intel drivers.

The internet connection works perfectly until I introduce software to share the connection. I have tried Internet Connection Sharing and WinRoute Lite.

When this software is running Internet Explorer 6 connects to the line but no web pages can be viewed. IE6 just comes back with unable to display the page.

If I stop the software from running in the background the internet works again.

I have done the same installation using a stand alone PC elsewhere and the exact same thing happens.

Has anybody got any ideas or has BT done something so these connection cannot be shared?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Well if you turn off the bt software and it works, then you have your answer? You shouldnt need special software - I have BT adsl and I just use a standard dun connection that dials 0.....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

WinRoute Lite manual

Sounds like the Kerio software. Use the manual to check the settings. No reason why it can't be done.

I've done numerous Business 500 plug and go installs and sharing the BT Openworld connection using WinRoute Lite. Might be a conflict of settings, such as default gateway setting within WinRoute Lite and Win98 network settings.

When IE6 says cannot find page, and internet connection has been established according to the PC that has the modem attached, suggest you go to a DOS prompt and try the following to see where its going wrong:

ping 127.0.0.1 (if this faiils then TCP/IP setup is really messed up)
    ping www.yahoo.com (if this fails might be a DNS issue)
    ping 216.109.125.69 (yahoo site)

Good luck!
    Last edited by darkhorse; July 1st, 2003 at 11:12 AM.

Thanks for the advice.

I'll be in front of the machine tomorrow so I'll update you then.

Its been a while for this reply because the laptop went back under warranty for an unrelated issue.

My client now has a brand new laptop but we are stuck with the same problem.

With WinRoute active I am able to ping 127.0.0.1.
    I CANNOT ping www.yahoo.com or 216.109.125.69 (yahoo site) which could indicate a DNS problem.

The internal network card is an Intel PRO/100 VE network connection if it helps which cannot be disabled in the BIOS.

How can a run DNS test to see what is causing the problem?

Why are you using winroute?

What windows version?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Both machines are running Windows 98SE.

I have used winroute with huge success in the past.

The plan is to link the two machines and use a couple of wireless network cards.

At the moment I'm trying to connect them via network cards.

The network links fine but the internet sharing is the problem.

sounds like a screwed up winsock... This often fixes it

Thanks NooNoo. I'll give it a try on Monday and let you know.

Just as an update.

The guy with the laptop has not come back to me yet but I now have a new client with the same problem.

This time it's a Windows ME machine (IP is set on the NIC). Same Intel modem. The connection logs in and Internet Explorer can browse the web and Outlook Express can get email.

Introduce Internet Connection Sharing or Winroute Lite etc and Internet Explorer and Email stops working.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

On the client machine (not the host where the physical connections is) in IE >Internet Tools > Options> connections tab - that should ALL be blank - no ticks in any boxes, also check under lan settings, uncheck anything in there.

On the tcp/ip properties - are you using dhcp or static ips? Is the gateway set for ics (192.168.0.1) ?

Is the dns server set to anything?

Thanks for the quick response NooNoo.

I can confirm everything is as you say on the client machines but it is the Host that cannot connect after loading the sharing software.

The main machine (with the ADSL connection) has a static IP set to 192.168.0.1 with SNM 255.255.255.0

With IP enabled the internet works fine but regardles of whether an IP is set or not if sharing software (winroute or internet connection sharing) is introduced IE cannot browse any pages.

The host has no DNS set.

The other two machines have a fixed IP in the range 192.168.0.X (2 and 3 actually). Default gateway for these two is 192.168.0.1. DNS Host and Domain is 'BROADBAND' and the 192.168.0.1 IP is set in the Server search order.

As I say I have set this sort of thing up loads of time with no problems ay all.

The host cannot connect?

Let me get this confirmed.

If you connect the host to the internet, it is fine, but if you enable ics on that connection, it suddenly wont connect?

What is the tcp/ip configuration for the internet connection?

OK.............very basic update.

Your statement is 100% correct.

I am sitting at the Windows ME machine typing this as we speak so I have internet access.

If I now enable Winroute (just by launching it) or install internet connection shaing Internet Explorer cannot access any web pages. It sits there and after a moment says the web page cannot be displayed. I am still connected to the internet. Outlook Express reacts in the same way.

At the moment this machine has a fixed IP set but it does not matter either way. Launch any sharing software a no web pages or email.

OK....just as a little update.

I have just set the ADSL connection etc on a W98SE machine. Internet works great but again, introduce sharing software and IE CANNOT display a web page.

WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON?

Any ideas?