Are you willing to pay for games with subscription?

View Poll Results: Game subscription fees? What do you think?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Onlly if the monthly or yearly cost is reasonable

12 28.57%
  • Sure, if it encourages better game development

4 9.52%
  • Nevar! I will only pay once for a game!

23 54.76%
  • No. I don't buy games anyway.

3 7.14%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Are you willing to pay for games with subscription?

Question Are you willing to pay for games with subscription?

Are games with subscriptions worth paying for? i.e. MMORPGs

If you do, what are you favorites?
    May the Schwartz be with you
    Too many zeros, not enough ones.

A surprising lack of opinion ?

He-he ... nobody wants to play !

It strikes me that this very well be the way ALL games are eventually sold ... its a lot easier to control website access than persist with anti-copying measures ....

So you missed an option .... I will not subscribe to these as it will give them the right(wrong) idea about how to deal with piracy ... (but I of course would never dream of that) ... like yeah, right !

When game prices are realistic & run first time everytime I might be interested ... until then I may have to persist in 'borrowing' other folks copies to make sure first ...

Banned
    NOpe, esp as I just got my blazing p2-350 back up and working this weekend, and Diablo 2 still ain't working. Oh well, I prefer AOE2 anyway. Used to play Everquest when it first came out, played for about 2 years. All I saw were constant upgrades, constant patches, meaning they never finished the stupid thing. That is something I don't want to deal with and hate dealing with. Thta is why almost all my gaming is on my x-box. The thing is done when you buy it, and it works as soon as you put it in.

Well..........thats not quite true Cleetus there is sometimes an option to upgrade the games in the on-line Live gaming but usually true because usually they dont have to worry about hardware upgrades.Though some patches are for extra weponary or levels not included in the origional version.
    Last edited by Archer; July 7th, 2003 at 11:24 AM.

Banned
    Yes, I know and I understand that yes there are other things in patches and updates other than just fixing the game. I got sick of it, and hell if I am going to pay for it. Most of the added weapons and so forth really do not add much to the game. As I said, I played EQ for 2 years, I was well aware that many weapons and spells and so forth kept getting added in, and in turn, I rarely used any and it always kept delaying how long it took for me to start playing. Same with other games with mods just to have a different looking screen. It doesn't mean anything to me, I don't use them, I don't like them, and I just lump them into the same category as those patches that are sent out to make sure the stupid thing actually works correctly, ie all the patches with any microsoft product and so on. With the console, I turn it on and it works, that is it, I know I can go get X-box live and get the stupid gay little updates to the games, but that is jst stupid in my opinion.

That, and I am so freaking burnt out workig with computers for crap pay, that the last thing I want to do is work on it at home.

Sounds like you need the gaming to relieve your stress levels Cleetus.Too much work and not enough p[l]ay

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    I wont pay to play, IMO $50 is more than enough for a game. Think back to the days of the nes and the snes, the games were stable, fun and you paid once and that was it. Nowadays companies charge for it, then pretty much force you to get a Gaymespy acct just so you can download the patches and updates to fix the stuff that should have been fixed to begin with.

I can see small bugs in a program, but I've seen too damn many monster problems that should have DEFINATELY been fixed in testing.

Therefore I refuse to pay another dime for things that should have been fixed the first time, also, if battle.net can work without pay, why cant the others?

I also dont buy the crap of "new weapons etc take time to make" because once the game engine has been made, making a weapon consists of simply making a model, effects and attributes, so the only real thing that they have to pay for is bandwidth when providing online play.
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

I will be the first one to say i am really bad about paying for any software, but looking at World of Warcraft and how pleased ive been other blizzard games i don't know what to think any more.... i just hope they work out something like you can trade in your gold for game time so u really dont have to pay out of pocket for the people who are REALLY gonna play
    No job is so simple that it cannot be done wrong

Comprehension is not a prerequisite of your cooperation.

The pay per play markety is already balloned out as much as it can. There are only so many gamers, and only so much are willing to shel out the cash to play on a broadband (which pretty much all the new multis require to be playable)

Its just a bloated market that can only support a few games in the long run. And who wants to shell out 50 bucks, then another 10 to 20 per month just to find out those 80 hours you invested are worth jack squat because of...

Nerfing
    Patches
    Bugs
    Unbalanced Play
    Company Going Kaput

Its just to much money to shell out to find out you now own a coaster. Not only are you spending money, your spending time...which IMHO is more valuable than time.

I could see....paying to play a game again....IF....

They gave the game out for free, and only charged you the monthly access to play. That way if it sucks and you dont like it. Your only out 10 to 20 bucks. A reasonable cost if you ask me.

The problem with that though is to many developers, and distributers rely so much on that first weeks influx of cash from the sales of the item upon release, that you'll never see that business model in a mainstream enviroment.

Ahh well...ce la vie

Theres always the usenet to help me in my purchasing decisions.
    So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Looks like Valve is jumping on that particular bandwagon: http://www.steampowered.com/index.php

Counterstrike 1.6 Beta is available "free" for now.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Im playing Anarchy Online right now, its $12 a month not bad. Its pretty fun

Hi there,

It depends. Also, it depends what kind of computer I have. I wouldn't pay for an online game if my computer sucks. As well as how many players, cool items to collect and no one is making money off it (like selling items on Ebay for example).

Jules...
    Otaku Anime Network
    http://www.otakuanime.com/

Guardian Of The Sailor Scouts Universe
    http://www.guardiansenshi.net/

The Sailor Scouts Gallery
    http://www.kawaiisenshi.com/

Anyone care if I get a word in edgewise here? good glad to hear it. First off here's how I see it after just paying $55 for SW Galaxies. As I see it this game was well woth the money for the game and for the online play. My reasons

2 week old release at $55, yeah I'll grant you that its pricey, BUT its also an 18GB install from 3 DVD ROMs!! I am more than happy to pay a game as long as its as high quality as Galaxies, and IMHO, they acually got this game RIGHT for once!!! Sure there will be glitches and bugs to be worked, and this is expected of ANY game out there, but the core engine of the game is phenominal!!! Now onto the $12, $15 /mo argument for gameplay....... Let me say this first to those who say that Battle.Net is all that and a bag of chips plus its free. *sigh* After playing Siablo2 and other Battle.net games out there for many many moons (since Diablo 1 if that gives you a clue) I can honestly say I would not mind it one iota if I had to pay to play on battle.net.

Reason being? If it was pay to play then they could get the damn network problems straightened out and then every other minute wouldnt have my game crash and give me a "Realm Down" error!! I have YET to hear of any of these problem with the EQ and developing SWG communities, but all I ever hear on the free servers are
    "The servers always down!!!"
    "This game Sucks"
    "There's too many cheaters"

Need I go on? After all we've all heard it said before. You cant get something for nothing!!! If you want a high quality server to play a high quality game (and SWG is truely the best game EVER to date IMHO) you gotta fork over the coinage and thats all there is to it.

Seems like this generation is always now now now, free, free, free!!! Well lemme tell you somethin.......it aint.....unless it comes to my MP3 collection that is

Let the flames begin!!!!

Toke

Yo Toke, what server you on??

SWG is da shizzie indeed.
    Do You Realize? - that you have the most beautiful face
    Do You Realize? - we're floating in space -
    Do You Realize? - that happiness makes you cry
    Do You Realize? - that everyone you know someday will die

My two cents worth:

As a previous administrator on one of the oldes Star Wars MUSHes on the 'net (Star Wars: Minos Cluster), I'd say I have to pretty much agree with Toke. I, and the other admin were constantly having to watch for player hacks and cheats. The $15 per month that I'm now paying for SWG is /well/ worth it. The servers, since they're run by professionals, are up and someone else gets to watch out for player cheat-scripts. Ahhhhh...
    Perseverance in all matters.