Are you willing to pay for games with subscription? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Game subscription fees? What do you think?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Onlly if the monthly or yearly cost is reasonable

12 28.57%
  • Sure, if it encourages better game development

4 9.52%
  • Nevar! I will only pay once for a game!

23 54.76%
  • No. I don't buy games anyway.

3 7.14%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Are you willing to pay for games with subscription?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar
    Yeah, it does take some time. Fun, though. See if you can trade it for Knights of the Old Republic when it comes out for PC since it's 1 player.
    Arrrr, they be the best pirates of them all them KOTOR lads

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar
    Yeah, it does take some time. Fun, though. See if you can trade it for Knights of the Old Republic when it comes out for PC since it's 1 player.
    Compusa took it back. They didn't want to but my wife bitched until they did. Never piss off an irish lass.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Never.

I absolutely refuse to pay $50 for a game, and then turn around and pay an additional $10 - $15 just to PLAY what I BOUGHT.

I have a limited budget. Shelling out $50 for a single game is a big investment for me. I can DO it, but it's a lot of money. If I were to turn around and have to pay to play each one, that means instead of it being 2 or 3 months before I buy another, it'll be 4-6 months before I do.

And take Galaxies for a minute... Lucasarts claims over 275,000 subscribers already. At $15 per month, that translates to $4,125,000 PER MONTH, alone. You aren't telling me it's costing them anywhere NEAR that to run those servers, keep it up-to-date, and patch it. And is it guaranteed there can be no cheating? Not that I've heard. $50,000,000 per year, if subscriptions levels remain, which they seem like they will do.

Now honestly, if they're standing to make at least $50,000,000 per year, you think they can afford to give the game out. Or reduce the price. Something to entice me. But I just simply can't justify spending $50 to buy it, and $180 per year to PLAY it. For 1 year of play, I'll have paid $230. I bought X-Wing Vs TIE Fighter for $30 back in 97-98, and still play it today, for that same $30. Single player AND multiplayer. And never once in all these years have I heard of anyone ever managing to hack the multiplayer and cheat. It's not a MMORPG, but it was done RIGHT, and I didn't have to KEEP paying for it. We created our own RPG aspects by just being in squads, interacting with ourselves and other squads online, and having fun with it. For one single price. Think about it.
    We are MicroSoft. You will be assimilated. We will take your technology and call it our own. Resistance is futile.

From gaseous clouds forming around Uranus
    I'd never pay to play. Q3A & TA are all I need. I've been playing Q3 since it came out. Couldn't give a rats *** if someone cheats, can always find another server. Plus Punkbuster gets updated every other week or so. Shelling even more money out for something you've already bought is crazy. Don't you pay enough for internet connectivity already without subscribing to some gameplay server you may never be able to use. I may be away from home for more than 21 days at a time, what good is that game subscription then? All I have when I'm out on the road is a crummy laptop and a dial-up connection to a RAS.
    "Oh my beloved Ice Cream Bar, how I love to lick your creamy center" - Ren

From gaseous clouds forming around Uranus
    Wow, just noticed how old this thread was. Sorry for bringing it back up to the surface.
    "Oh my beloved Ice Cream Bar, how I love to lick your creamy center" - Ren