anybody RMA seagate????

Thread: anybody RMA seagate????

anybody RMA seagate????

almost put this in the lounge . . . . . so if you want to move in Noo . . . .no sweat.

anyway,
    who has RMA'ed seagate? hows the process? the reason I ask is because I got an RMA for a bad drive from them and packed it up and sent it out yesterday. I packed the drive as I normally would and the way I often get drives from compgeeks and other places. I put the drive in an anti-static bag and taped the bag shut. I then liberally rolled the drive in bubble wrap. probably rolled it 5 or 6 times . . . until it looked like just a big wad of bubble wrap. I then taped it up extremely well. I put a generous amount of packing peanuts in the bottom of the small box, laid the drive in and filled in the gaps and top with peanuts. the drive was/is very secure and was not moving in the box which was picked to be nearly identical in size to the wrapped drive. . . . . .

anyway today I notice this little nugget
    Enclose each drive in a SeaShell container or an ESD (electrostatic discharge) bag. If packaging more than one drive, use a separate container for each drive.

Enclose the static-protected drive in 2-inch thick foam rubber in a corrugated box. Multiple drives in a single box must have foam rubber between each drive. DO NOT USE foam packing pellets, bubble wrap, or newspaper.

Warranty is void if the SeaShield cover or top cover, or any seal or label is removed or damaged, if it is improperly packaged, or if the drive experiences shock in excess of its Gs rating. For further packaging details, see our Seagate approved packaging reference page.
    went to the reference page where it pointed me to a store that would sell me a "approved" return kit for 7.25 + shipping. so am I supposed to pay almost $20 to RMA a 40GB drive (by the time I order the "approved" kit and pay shipping charges for the drive) to get a refurb back when I can pick up brand new 40GB drive for around $60?

do you think they are seriously going to void the warranty because I used bubble wrap and packing peanuts. I could see if I just threw the drive in there with no padding but a bunch of packing peanuts and a loose sheet of bubble wrap underneath and on top, but I've been shipping drives just like this for a long time (long time ebayer) and have never had a drive damaged due to poor packing.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

I sent a drive in just last month that same way and had no problems from them so I wouldn't stress to much but when they send you the new drive keep the packaging they send you for the next time. Oh and switch to Western Digital less of a hassle and a better drive in my opinion.

You should be fine.....
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Im sure you will be fine. I have sent plenty of drives back to them in just the same way and they didn't give me any guff about it. As long as it is packed well.

I save the packing those drives come in now though so I can send them back just as they came in, just to be on the safe side.
    I dont feel tardy...

I sent a 40gb back to Seagate using a Maxtor box and foam. I didn't have any problems.

They sent me back a refurb that I don't trust.
    Indeterminism. There's nothing you can do about it.