Hi everyone,

First of all, let me introduce my cpu:

AMD XP 2100+
    512 DDR 2700 generic
    HD 80 GB Maxtor
    MotherBoard Asus A7V 333, BIO 1017
    CD ROM LG 52x / CDRW Yamaha 16x10x40
    Internet via Cable 256 link
    video card AGP, MSI Ge Force Ti 4200 128 mb.

Well, I decided to submit this post to know if anyone is facing the same issue.

After some problem with my Windows 2K (that I have preference) and my machine, I changed to XP Windows. Everything was quite normal on instalation (it recognized the video card, sound, etc)...Installed all programs, everying went well until I started to installing games.

Ah, note that I downloaded ALL updates as possible from Microsoft Windows Update, including Direct X 9.0a, etc, etc.

So, the following games are working fine: Microsoft Rally, C&C Generals, Fifa World Cup 2002 and Global Operations.

But, Medal of Honor, Operation Flashpoint and Motor GP2 didin't work. on Medal of Honor, showed a problem with Open GL and the following games, just returned to OS. Also, on Motor GP2, the system has restarted automaticaly.

I've noticed with some friends that Win XP is not good for games (at least the old ones), but I need some feedback about that. Is that anything I can do to solve this problem? Is that some extra configuration? Some OpenGL program/patch to install?

What I will do next is to download the updated video card drive (since I am using the Windows XP drive, recognized on instalation) but I am hopeless that will work.

Tks for the attation and waiting some feedback.

Leo
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience".

Did you install the via motherboard drivers? Hyperions available at www.viaarena.com. Also which video drivers are you using? www.nvidia.com for the latest drivers...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Did you check the manufacturer of the games for patches???!!!
    No job is so simple that it cannot be done wrong

Comprehension is not a prerequisite of your cooperation.

I will download the VIA drivers and aldo last Nvidia. After that, I will reinstall games and check.

Regarding the patches, I beliave it would not be the main problem. Moto GP2 has just been released and didn't work on my machine. I cannot proceed with Global patch and never did with Flashpoing Ops. But I will install more games to continue tests.

Tks for replies
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience".

For your older games, check out www.ntcompatible.com.

They list game/software compatibility by OS type.

The first MotoGP is listed as functioning under WinXP...
    Last edited by a d e p t; July 7th, 2003 at 10:25 AM.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

I've download the last Nvidia drivers and during the instalation, a windows came out saying that the software for this Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200 didn't pass on the Win Logo test (I don't know if the translation to english is the same, because I am using the Win in portuguese).

Is that right to happen?

I've continued the instalation.

Comments?

It is normal, it just means they didn't submit the drivers for microsoft approval. The WHQL drivers should also be listed, but considering how often via and nvidia update their drivers, I suspect microsoft wouldn't be able to keepup
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Opengl version mismatches & confus-ed-ness ?

...anything I can do to solve this problem? Is that some extra configuration? Some OpenGL program/patch to install?...
    I think you sussed your own problem ... you want 'newer' or 'better' or at least different opengl drivers ...

These are included in any video driver update you may have installed ...

Windows xp uses by defauly opengl version 1.1 'drivers' many games 'expect' this by default .... you may have confused the games in question by overwriting that with opengl 1.3 or 1.4 (included in newer nvidia drivers) ... however you can mix & match ... so install the latest nvidia driver then Go here (read the little note which says what I just did ) & grab the 'default' opengl & install that ...

If it doesn't help simply re-load your 'new' nvidia drivers to restore the opengl bit back to whatever version is included in Nvidia's drivers ...